Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - my cat doesn’t like his hypoallergenic food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Dalziel, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

Recently my cat was itching and scratching his neck so bad that he was ripping his fur out causing open wounds which were getting infected :-(. After many trips to the vet, lots of steroids and antibiotics later I have discovered he was allergic to his food. I was advised to try him on Purina Hypoallergenic dry food which he has been on for 2 weeks, his skin has never looked better. All the cuts are healed and he has finally stopped clawing his skin to bits! However I can tell he has started not to like the new hypoallergenic food, he meows when he’s hungry but when it’s put down to him he doesn’t touch it until he has to and even still he eats it in bits always leaving leftovers when it’s time to get fed again. I am looking for some advice on what to try next as I don’t want him not enjoying his food however I don’t want to try him on anything he could have a reaction to again! Any help would be appreciated, thanks x

2. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

My sister had this problem with her cat. Loved the food to start with, and then refused to eat it, went 3 days without food at one point. He's now on Atopica which helps with his allergies and means that he can eat any food and treats with no problem. Not sure if this is something that might benefit your cat?

TriTri likes this.
  3. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

There are lots of threads on this topic. Search the ones with IBD for ideas. Have you tried turkey?

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Many cats get bored when limited to only one food, and ideally you'll want to get him onto wet food rather than dry, as an all-dry diet can cause its own problems. If you can identify what it is that's causing the allergy, you can have more freedom to feed him a bit more variety while avoiding the allergen/s. This thread might be helpful: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

Dalziel likes this.
  5. Douglas’ Dad

I missed he was on dry food.
    Bad move. I’d take him off that straight away.

6. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Have you tried an elimination diet to find out what specifically causes the problem? Might then be easier to find a variety of foods that you can feed. There’s a sticky about how to do an elimination diet that’s worth a look.

Calvine, TriTri and Dalziel like this.
  7. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

I have had a read of this, seems very helpful but I can’t seem to source kangaroo meat from anywhere!! Will need to get something today as he’s refusing to eat this morning. Thank you

8. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

I haven’t tried turkey no. Which do you recommend?

9. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

Has he ever had rabbit? If not you could use that instead (I think... I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong). Much easier to find.

Dalziel likes this.
  10. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

He hasn’t, which brand do you recommend and where can I purchase it from?

11. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

We've just bought some single source protein cans from Zooplus. We are trying the Feringa rabbit to start with. Might be worth a try?

Calvine and Dalziel like this.
  12. pennycat

I saw this:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/feringa_wet_cat_food/meat_menu/314353

Which is meant to be good food. However it does say it contains parsnip - not sure if that means it’s not suitable for an elimination diet? I’ve never had to do one so hopefully somebody who knows more will be able to advise.

If he’s never had something like venison I think you can use that too?

Dalziel likes this.
  13. pennycat

Ah I see somebody above has also recommended Feringa rabbit :) def worth a try!!

Dalziel likes this.
  14. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

Perfect thanks so much :)

15. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

pennycat likes this.
  16. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Atopica is a very strong drug that is not really suitable for use long term. Some friends of mine have a boy with food allergy. Steroids had no effect and eventually they tried an elimination diet but with Atopica which was gradually reduced as he improved. They sourced their kangaroo and other meats such as venison, rabbit etc from their local butcher. If you can do the same it avoids having to buy a large amount before you have discovered if he likes it and/or it agrees with him.

Kiezebrink do these sorts of meat if you find he can tolerate them.
    https://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/category/210-paleo-ridge

There are other sources but I would have to look up some of my advice from Chillminx.

TriTri and Dalziel like this.
  17. Douglas’ Dad

This is my suggestion: search the historic threads on the following strings:

- Kangaroo
    - Turkey
    - Rabbit

but ensure your search includes this user @chillminx our dearly departed expert on all things feline. You will get a list of her posts dealing with these foods.
    Everyone on this forum will agree you can't go wrong with @chillminx or @Ceiling Kitty.

Calvine and Dalziel like this.
  18. Douglas’ Dad

19. pennycat

Oh no, I’ve just read chillminx’s post advising not to use rabbit :(

A4880300-BF62-4956-805D-23230FDE5432.png

Dalziel likes this.
  20. Dalziel

Dalziel Harlow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice