Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!!! My bearded dragon wont eat!!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Eddie_Z, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Eddie_Z

Eddie_Z PetForums Newbie

So my bearded dragon is about couple months old,i recently purchased it at my local petsmart last Monday, my problem today is that my beardie wont eat....i hav a 5.5 gallon tank for right now. i am buyin a 10 gallon tomorrow,im using a 50w basking light, the temp of the tank is around 89-90,humidity 30-40, he goes to the bathroom twice a day, Do u guys hav any advice on why he's not eating??NEED Your help

2. Eddie_Z

Eddie_Z PetForums Newbie

Need advice fast!!!

3. sarahcoll

sarahcoll PetForums Newbie

have you tryed different food like locust ?

4. Eddie_Z

Eddie_Z PetForums Newbie

no i havent,he's bout 6inches i give him small size crickets but he wont even bother, he spends his time at his basking area, he drinks water every time i dip my finger in the water n put my finger in front of his, n he will always lick it. IDK what to do, im new to this:scared:

5. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells PetForums Junior

Hi,

Now, firstly I will say I am just a beginner as well...so know as much as you do :scared:

But a suggestion....have you tried bathing your Beardie? I know that bathing can help pass poo and make your Beardie feel more comfortable. Plus this will help with rehydration....maybe encourage his/her appetite? plus it does help them with shedding.

What substrate do you have in your Viv?

I hope this helps, as I said I know very little but have read that Bathing is a good thing to do.

Jingle Bells.

6. serpentseye

serpentseye PetForums Member

the reason his beardie won't eat is because he has no UV - idiot in petsmart didn't give him one! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Without jumping to conclusions like Serpents Eye, are you providing UV?

Jingle Bells - Bathing is good for encouraging them to toilet, but I doubt it will help with his appetite.
    But you did mention about his Substrate.....Eddie Z, what type are you using?

What veg are you feeding?

We don't work off volume here, but the actual size of the vivarium, how long is your vivarium in inches?
    With small vivariums it can be difficult to give a temperature gradient, so a hot and cool end, so this could be a reason.

8. GALSFTW

GALSFTW PetForums Junior

If he's quite young, you might wanna try him on mealworms because they're easier to catch as they don't move a lot and they're a lot smaller.

Try spraying water onto the veg to encourage him to eat - it also helps keep them hydrated.

And the bulb would be a good idea as they sit in the heat of it to help digest.

9. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

How is he getting on?

10. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells PetForums Junior

Hi,

Did you try your Beardie on Mealies?
    I do hope all is well now ;o)

Jingle Bells :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice