Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My 8 month Springer Spaniel wakes me up at 4am.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Carrie Clarke, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Carrie Clarke

Carrie Clarke PetForums Newbie

Looking for some advice/ help with my 8 month Springer Spaniel.

Poppy is house trained, and has been since around 10 weeks old, she was crate trained and occasionally cried to go out for a wee in the night but mostly slept through.

Recently we stopped using her crate and now she has a raised bed in a room with a child gate to stop her leaving the room. Her daily routine is as follows:

Get up 6:30am
    Feed 8am
    Walk/Training for an hour at lunchtime
    Feed 5:30am (used to be 6:30)
    Off lead walk for 40 mins around 6:30pm
    Free access to garden all day to go toilet
    Encouraged to go we/poo around 9:30pm
    Bed around 10pm

She is waking us up between 3-4am every night, and we are exhausted

When she gets up we let her out, no fuss and straight back to bed.

Tonight we stayed in the park for 1.5 hours and then the garden another hour to try to have her poo before bed but nothing. She seems to hold it in, and I think the reason is she had an awful time as a puppy with food intolerance and severe diarrhea and so I think she won't go now until she is absolutely desperate. She also gets distracted so easily (I guess to be expected owning a sniffer dog).

Please let me know if I should change something in her routine, willing to try anything!

Attached Files:

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Try feeding her slightly later then hopefully she won’t need to go so early. Sometimes it’s a bit of trial and error.

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

So you feed her at 5.30pm and she needs the toilet about 10-11 hours later? Seems normal to me. I'd give her a chew at lunch time after your training session, then try feeding her later, at say 7pm, and see if that helps.

LinznMilly and Torin. like this.
  4. Carrie Clarke

Carrie Clarke PetForums Newbie

Thank you both, feeding her at 6.30 now and mostly sleeps til 6am so its better.

5. Tikathecat

Tikathecat PetForums Newbie

I'm glad to hear of the improvement! I've noticed if I take my dogs for a walk at night they will sleep in longer, regardless of going to the toilet at the same time before bed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice