Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My 4.5 month old kitten is suddenly eating less?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kyaviana, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Junior

Hello! I rescued my kitten when he was 5 weeks old and from the very beginning he’s always vacuumed up his food. He’s never been fed dry kibble, I feed him Wellness Kitten wet food (I’m located in the US) four times a day. Up until last week, he was eating around 9-12 ounces a day.

Suddenly he’s only eating about 4-6 ounces of food per day and doesn’t beg for his food anymore- but is otherwise acting normal. His poops look good, he’s playful and his fur is still soft. What’s going on? Is he just sick of his food or should I take him to the vet? I’m afraid to switch his food because I know Wellness Kitten is the best kitten food out there in the US and last time I tried anything else he got diarrhea

I’m a first time kitten owner so perhaps I’m just worried for no reason, please also let me know!

Thank you in advance!

2. Kyaviana

My sweet goofball

Attached Files:

Psygon and Soozi like this.
  3. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

If he is behaving normally, playful and going to the toilet normal then I would say its probably nothing to worry about but keep your eye on him. We had a heatwave in the UK recently and most of our cats started eating less - has it been warm in the US?

You could always call the vets for advice

Soozi likes this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Does he go out at all ? Could a "kind" neighbour be feeding him thinking he might be a stray ? Cats are opportunists and if he does go out then it's possible that he may have found someone else to feed him :eek: Alternatively he may just be bored with Wellness so it might be worthwhile adding another brand to his menu.

Kyaviana and Soozi like this.
  5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

He might have some toothache from teething. I would advise adding other brands into his food, but do it gradually and slowly, not much at a time, and see if he takes to them.

gskinner123, Soozi and Kyaviana like this.
  6. Kyaviana

It’s been pretty hot but I always keep the AC on! Does the heatwave affect them regardless?

Soozi likes this.
  7. Kyaviana

Haha he doesn’t go out at all! I’ll definitely go out today and pick up another brand of kitten food, any suggestions?

Soozi likes this.
  8. Kyaviana

Thank you! I was wondering if he was teething as well!

Soozi and Treaclesmum like this.
  9. BarneyBobCat

Teething could be it. Have you noticed blood on his gums after chewing toys? That's how we worked out barney was teething. Then I saw a tooth ping out of his mouth when eating!

gskinner123, Soozi and Treaclesmum like this.
  10. Kyaviana

Nope I haven’t seen any blood! Can teething make it difficult for him to eat even wet food? I’ve only been feeding him pate

Soozi likes this.
  11. BarneyBobCat

I would think so. Their gums will be quite painful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice