Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Moving from Australia to UK

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by phoenixandbaxter, Feb 26, 2008.

1. phoenixandbaxter

phoenixandbaxter PetForums Newbie

I have just joined the Pet Forum, so firstly hello everyone!

I am thinking of moving to the UK early next year but I am really concerned about our two dogs (moodles - quite small).

So I have a few concerns and would appreciate any advice or experiences etc...

1. Can anyone tell me about their experience with flying dogs abroad?
    The thought of them having to fly is really stressing me out.

2. How many dogs can you own in the UK and is there is a minimum backyard area?
    In Queensland, Australia we can only have two and must have 700sqm block of land at a minimum.

3. Rental properties?
    I have noticed not many places allow dogs, does this mean not many people own dogs in the UK? Do they keep their dogs in flats or do you have to have a house with large yard (obviously v.expensive)?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. claire

claire Guest

i dont know about flying but as for owning a dog here there is no limit at all and alot of rental property will allow dogs as long as you signed to say you will repair any damage done, i know lots of people who live in rented flats and have dog so you shouldnt find a problem

3. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hi I live in rented accomodation and have done since my ex hubby and split up 7 years ago . At the time i had no dogs and last year we had Daisy our first Lab and at Christmas we had Jessie our 2nd Lab ,Luckily i have a good landlord and there is no problem with this . Im not sure how much square footage our garden is, its about 30 ft long and 20 ft wide our gardens here wont be what your used to cos we just dont have the space to build houses with huge amounts of land . Safe to say though our girls manage to mooch around quite nicely . What we do have lots of though ,are lots of great parks and depending on what area of the uk your thinking of moving to we also have lots of countryside , you could do with checking out a few uk letting sites so you can get an idea of whats around in the area your thinking of moving to . A good site to try is called Primelocation . com this site allows you to search for your criterea of houses to let from several agencies who advertise with them , they also have houses for sale . As far as travelling with your dogs i guess youve checked on what vaccinations they might need and if they need to be quarentined at all on arrival , your vet should be able to advise you on any sedatives maybe and the airline should be able to tell you the size requirements of the shipping crate and cost . As far as Landlords allowing dogs in the house you could always ask the letting agencies to check on which properties will allow pets and if there are any costs involved there shouldnt be any additional cost but you may be charged for repairs to garden (grass) if they wreck it or you could assure the owner that you will make good any repairs on leaving . good luck in your search .
    Andrea

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

if you find a landlord that will let you have the dogs good luck they are not easy to find,

there is no limit on how meny dogs you can have over here.

what ever you do DONT ever drug the dogs for the flight.
    they will be fine a friend moved back to oz last year and his old boy was fine.

5. phoenixandbaxter

Thanks guys and gals for your replies, I feel good about the fact that I am not going to have a problem with having two, but can see I am going to have some problems with getting a rental property.

I will keep my eye out in the meantime though!!

6. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly i know a friend that fly her dog over to spain and it was fine. Secondly if you find a landlord that will let you have dogs in the rental property well your lucky and thirdly their is no limits to how many dogs you can own.Yes the UK is a very big animal lover place most people own at least 1 animal. Good luck:D

7. Woodaril

Woodaril PetForums Newbie

Hi there. How are things progressing. I am in a similar situation to you. Here goes. I wanted to move to the Canary Islands. I've done that, however in order for my 4 dogs to get here I needed to find a rental property that would allow them.......found it, however I have not yet sold my house (9 months now) so I have decided to rent it out......if possible to responsible (like me) pet owners. Don't know where you are thinking of living in the UK but I have come across a website called Pet Friendly Rentals - pets welcome property & UK holiday accommodation to rent , maybe you will find something here.

Re: your guys flying.........I know what you mean I am conserned..I think that's natural. If you haven't already go to the defra website and look at entry rules to UK. as far as I am aware as long as your guys are up to date with their rabies shots there shouldn't be quarantine but check it out thoroughly.....and hey, if you know anyone who wants to rent a village property in Wiltshire......please let me know.

Good luck and keep us all posted
    X

8. daycare4dogs

daycare4dogs Banned

9. phoenixandbaxter

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will check out the websites you have suggested and let you know how I get on!

10. Sitmus

Sitmus PetForums Member

Not really any limits to how many dogs you can own, but if animal wellfare thinks the dogs are suffering (for what ever reason) they can take them off you. And if you choose to adopt another dog over here in the UK, they do a home visit before you can take him/her home (I don't know if they do this in australia) and they could say no if you have a small garden, house 1 or more dogs(I know someone who had this happen to them).

You will be lucky to find a landlord willing to let you own a dog though, good luck with that, seriously. :p

Loads of people have pets over here, we're a animal loving nation (loads of people treat their pets better than other people). As said, there are loads of parks in the UK and loads of countryside. So you shouldn't have to much trouble with them having room to play.

Good luck if you choose to move!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice