UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a good brush I can use to get the moulting undercoat out of Akira without breaking the top coat. Its really annoying the brushes I have tried seem to break hairs off the top coat and dont really get much hair out of her undercoat.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks all :thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
These are fantastic:

FURminator would highly recommend one!

Ebay sell them very cheap, mine retails at £40 but got it on ebay for less than £10 :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use a furminator, got it on ebay large one for about £6.00, wouldn't be without it now :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
cool thanks I guess this one doesnt break the top coat?
Looks very good :)
No it does not break the top coat, its designed to pull out and lift away any loose fur from the undercoat, totally painless for your pet and super easy for you :)

They also sell shampoo & stuff may be worth investing if her coats damaged :)

xx

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I used a furminator on Dalton's coat, it broke the hair, i wasnt impressed so now i just use an undercoat rake on him hun.
His coat is back to his usual lush looking furball appearance.
I have used the furminator on kane and its ok, but i will never use it again on Dalton and not on Rayden either
xx

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What breed do you have? Ihave chows with very thing dense under and top coats. I use an undercoat rake on them, then finish off with a slicker. I have a furminator, but fund it pretty useless a lot of the time, as their coat was so thick.

As for the coat breaking... spray your dog thoroughly with a coat conditioner before brushing, or furminating if you go down that route, it helps a lot. I wouldn't touch my pair for a thorough groom if the coat was dry.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used a furminator on Dalton's coat, it broke the hair, i wasnt impressed so now i just use an undercoat rake on him hun.
His coat is back to his usual lush looking furball appearance.
I have used the furminator on kane and its ok, but i will never use it again on Dalton and not on Rayden either
xx
thanks hun Do you think it broke the coat because his a long coat and Kane isnt? x

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What breed do you have? Ihave chows with very thing dense under and top coats. I use an undercoat rake on them, then finish off with a slicker. I have a furminator, but fund it pretty useless a lot of the time, as their coat was so thick.

As for the coat breaking... spray your dog thoroughly with a coat conditioner before brushing, or furminating if you go down that route, it helps a lot. I wouldn't touch my pair for a thorough groom if the coat was dry.
They are both short coat german shepherds but have very think coats. I have tried brushing her when she is damp after a bath but once she is dry and goes fluffy the hair just comes away in your hand but maybe its because of the brush I was using/

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They are both short coat german shepherds but have very think coats. I have tried brushing her when she is damp after a bath but once she is dry and goes fluffy the hair just comes away in your hand but maybe its because of the brush I was using/
Mine are almost impossible to brush when wet/ damp, the coat conditioning spray, is like leave in conditioner, I put it onto a dry coat, it dries quickly, but coats the individual hairs, and stops the coat breaking when you're doing a thorough brush out.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine are almost impossible to brush when wet/ damp, the coat conditioning spray, is like leave in conditioner, I put it onto a dry coat, it dries quickly, but coats the individual hairs, and stops the coat breaking when you're doing a thorough brush out.
what one do you use any ideas where I can get one

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
i got my furminator for £9 on ebay brand new :) bargin and really good although bear still moults like a hairy beast but zebs is alot better after using it (zeb does like a hoover tho!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.