Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by puppies4ever2000, Aug 27, 2009.

1. puppies4ever2000

puppies4ever2000 PetForums Newbie

Hi i am 10 years old,live with my parents and my younger bro.
    I desperately want a puppy but my dad wont even look into it! At the mo i am trying to convince them to move into a bigger house.Maybe then we could get a dog? Anyway, could you please give me some helpful hints, i really badly want a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!::001_wub:

2. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

LOL you sound like my 10 yo before we got Monty :D

Having a dog is a big decision that should be thought through carefully. Maybe by showing your parents how responsible you can be will help to convince them that having a dog is right for you all. For my DD, helping out around the house, good behaviour and working hard in school worked out well for her ;)

Good luck x

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum

5. rottiesloveragdolls

welcome to the forum :D

6. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Hi there and welcome to the forum :)

7. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

welcome to the forum - if you cant have a dog at home why dont you go to your local rescue centre and ask them about being a volunteer?? Maybe if you show your parents that you are really committed to looking after a dog - that means going to the centre in all weathers and helping with the walks, cleaning out the poop etc etc etc then maybe they'll give in and let you have one of your own:)

8. puppies4ever2000

puppies4ever2000 PetForums Newbie

Thanks guys my dad has asked me to look for rescue centres near me. Do you know any place near chadwell heath or atleast 1/2 a mile away from here???:confused:

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Crafty boy arnt you lolololo, putting the same thing in another thread wont give you a different answer lololol. YES I THINK WE GOT IT NOW.....YOU WANT A PUPPY........... but like I said in the other thread, it is a big responsability looking after a puppy, and very espensive aswell, your parents will be the ones picking up the vet bills, food bills, and any other bill, HONESTLY wait until you are older and prove you can be responsible, you say you want to become a vet, well why dont you go to your local rescue centre and ask them if there are any jobs you can do at your age there, it is one step closer to becoming what yo want to be when you leave education... You will have more experience if you start here first, and it will help with your CV when you leave school. If you get good grades you can go to college to train to become a vet in the future and you get to go to a vets clinic and help with the animals aswell.
    Look around your neighbourhood and ask around for puppy/dog walking, this is another way of getting experience aswell.
    Please read my reply to you on your other post. It do make sense and you will eventually realise what I was saying was right.
    You are young and wanting a puppy is NORMAL, I wanted one when I was young, and my parents would not let me have one. I took up dog walking and eventually when I got married I had a dog of my own, I was more grown up and had money of my own to pay for the things puppies and dogs need. IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE HONESTLY. I know you dont want to read things like this but it is true as everyone will tell you.
    I think you will become a good owner of a dog at a later date.
    You will be very shocked if you knew how much vets fees are for even the simple things, and an opperation of any kind is in the hundereds and I mean many hundereds.
    You parents are doing what they are doing as they know how much a responsibility a dog/puppy costs.

I wish you luck in your future following the vet's area for you future job. Good Luck to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. Me being young myself (14) i also very badly want a dog... But when it comes to the parents, this is where it gets tough! You need to look at it in your parents point of view. Im not to sure, but i dont think that they will move just to get a dog, but mayb if you just ask in the dog chat section for some info on a dog that you like (Try to find a small one) And then just start telling your parents about this dog, and hopefully eventually they will start to like the dog themselves, that is what i did. Also, since your 10, i think your parents might think it would be a one minute wonder, and the dog will enventually become there responsibility. Hope this helps... :D

11. Whitetoes

Whitetoes Guest

While family pets can be a good way to teach children responsibility and respect for animals, bringing a dog into a home where a dog is not wanted is not a good idea.

Perhaps you could start with something smaller and a little easier to care for. A hamster, while needing daily care, does not require the same type of commitment and expense that a dog does.

A hamster would teach you about daily commitment and give you companionship, as you grow and mature.

Dogs are not all fun and frisbee like the tv commercials show. Dogs require constant training, a lot of daily exercise, and attention and care. Dogs are a lot of work. Unless the parents are animal lovers too, and willing to put in the time and expense, a dog is not a good idea.

wt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice