Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me with his fussy eating please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Aug 9, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok mika doesn't eat..or he does but not much and its getting me worrid because he is apparently too skinny according to my dad and now i am getting worried. I don't want to take him to the vet because he seems fine in himself - that and i can't drive and i don't know what we can do

Ok basically Mika barely finishes his breakfast or dinner. he's always been like this and it getting to the point where my dad is actually giving him loads of treats because he is apparently too skinny......I'll post a recent pic when i can...wait..i can post a pic i took a month ago but don't know if it'll help.

[​IMG]

Anyway...re his meals.......

He gets 3 puppy bonio's for breakfast which he never finishes....he plays with his bones rather than actually eat them. He cant chew them whole so we have to cut it in 1/2 for him. this worries me because at 8 months surely his teeth should be strong enough to chew them, i wonder if he even knows how to chew....but anyways...getting back to the point at hand....

Then comes dinner...which he eats, i hope, well he eats it when i am around - Eukanuba and Butchers meat, and there are some days where he wont eat all of it.

This worries me as my dad says he's too skinny. What can we do? I don't want dad to keep giving him treats because that's like feeding him junk food.

#1 ad_1980, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

If a dog is showing no signs of illness and is happy and energetic, i would never fuss over a dog that doesnt eat it is not in their nature to starve themselves, he might be spoiling him giving treats and this might be why he's leaving his meals knowing the treat will coming along shortly dont give him treats as he wont keep up the not eating up for long. Mine do not get treats other than when out walking for doing the right thing and then its their dried food i keep in my pocket. If you are worried about the eating then i can imagine you make a fuss over him getting it down him a fuss when he leaves it, i would put no importance on meal times at all give the food walk away if he leaves it ignore the fact i know its hard but he will soon realise that there are no treats he will be hungry and eat it.

3. gazt

gazt Banned

i would get him checked out by a vet he does look on the lean side to me not trying to worry you but its best to be safe than sorry keep us posted on how he gets on

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I agree with haeveymolly.
    He's prod decided that treats are tastier than dinner.
    As long as he hasn't got any medical problems or issues with his teeth -
    I would put his meal down if he doesn't eat it remove it in 10 minutes.
    Don't feed him again until the next meal.
    Dogs, even small dogs, can go with out food for 3 days with out causing any harm - he'll soon realise that if he doesn't eat he goes hungry.
    By fussing you are only encouraging him to be a fussy eater.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I would say he knows that if he doesnt eat he will get treats so i would cut out the treats

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Have you had his teeth checked over, he may have a baby tooth playing up and sore which may be stopping him from eating properly, I wouldnt give the treats as they are not proper food. Have you tried to mush his food up a little like you would do for a puppy. Some dogs will only eat little but often. Have you had him weighed recently, if you have then weigh him again now and see if he have lost weight, if he have and you have tried everything else I would let a vet check him over, it is better to be safe. Like us humans if we are ill we go to the doctors, although doctors dont charge the stupid rates that the vets do. I hope he starts eating more for you and gets better. xxxxxxxxx

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I will tell my dad to stop giving him treats in the meantime...not that he'll actually listen to me.

8. rona

rona Guest

I did say a long time ago that I thought he was too thin, on this I agree with your dad, however I think it it partly if not solely down to the fact that he is being fed tasty treats.
    He needs tasty food ;)

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

An example please? Help me what should i give him?

10. rona

rona Guest

A complete meat would be good for a fussy eater. Nature diet or Chappie, I'm sure other people can give you more examples.
    But the main thing is to stop the treats

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I know that! He's on Butchers at the mo. I'm almost tempted to go to the pet shop and try him on Nature's diet, but i don't want to upset his tummy with yet another food change.......

12. rona

rona Guest

No that's your problem, he has a delicate tum.
    Might be best to try and stop the treats first and see how that goes

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Wish people would listen to me. All dad ever gives him is treats. treat in the morning, treat when he sits down after coming down from entering the house, treat treat treat! Grrr!

Ok but say the treats disappeared? In the meantime? I just want him to put on weight now. I wish i had scales that i could weigh him on.....

14. rona

rona Guest

What does he give as treats?
    Maybe you could get some good quality dry food which is used as treats

15. rona

rona Guest

Have you got bathroom scales?

16. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

yeah........

17. rona

rona Guest

Weigh yourself, pick up Mika, weight both of you, take your weight off and you have Mikas weight ;)

18. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok.....i'll try that after i've eaten and will let you know. Lunch is ready now.

See ya!

19. tish5566

tish5566 PetForums Junior

Hi,i agree with everything everyone has said about cutting out the treats ect,but another thing to take into consideration is that some dogs just dont fill out until they have matured.Ive had a few dogs that until a year old,sometimes 2 years they have been like rakes.And yes i know how to feed dogs correctly(before anyone suggests i dont know what i'm doing!..lol)and as they matured they started to hold their weight better.I have worked with poodles,of all sizes and i have known this breed to do the same,also this breed are always on the go,the bloomin things never stop!! so of course he's burning calories all the time.My suggestion like everyone elses is cut the treats,or in your dads case try to get him to stop the treats,stick to regular feed times,and unless there is something underlying i'm pretty sure before you know it he will start putting weight on.

20. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Rona....ok so I did what you said....

I weigh in stones 7 and 1/2 i think....or at least thats what i read.... should write things down more lol

But then when i weighed the both of together it came to 8 stone.

So thats.....1 stone????? I must be doing something wrong......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice