Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me to prepare!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LoonyLuna, Jul 13, 2017.

1. LoonyLuna

LoonyLuna PetForums Junior

We are getting our new rescue kitten Luna tomorrow, she is 11 weeks and is coming from Cat's Protection! I am very excited to meet her! She is black which is what we wanted as we believe black cats are the hardest to adopt out?

We have got a lot of things already but I wanted to ask you veteran cat owners (as she is our first) if you think we are doing alright with what we have for her at the moment! She will have access to just our spare bedroom at first until she gets settled, she has a scratching post and mat, bed, litter tray, bowl and the couch in there to snuggle up on, as well as toys!

When we are home we will slowly introduce her to downstairs, there she has a scratching post, cat tree, bed, bowl, litter tray and toys! We have also bought cat nip spray to try and make her bed and toys and things more appealing than our couch!

We have both wet and dry food and understand she will need feeding a few times a day at first, access to water always!

Is there anything anyone else suggests that will be helpful to us in these first couple of days/weeks?

She will be getting her vaccinations, neutering and microchip at the appropriate times!

Thank you! Meow!

#1 LoonyLuna, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Emmasian, Charity, SbanR and 3 others like this.
  2. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Congratulations let's have loads of pics tomorrow:)
    With the toys it's a good idea with kittens to treat them a bit like children keep changing them over rather than letting them have access to everything at once. That way it is like having a new toy every day to keep their interest going.
    Don't forget the empty cardboard box which is compulsory for cat fun

KCTT likes this.
  3. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

Hello and yes lots of photos tomorrow please. I recognise your preparation with the advice I got from Cats Protection when I adopted my first ever cat. They are very good for follow up suppport too should you need it. Sounds like Luna is one very lucky kitten with all the preparation you have done. I think you have everything covered for the arrival. In the first few days don't try to bond too quickly if she is nervous. Tipsy was very shy to start with and it took time to win her round although during that time she would happily sit next to me as I read to her. Got her use to my voice and me being close.

4. LoonyLuna

Thank you to you both!

I'm hoping she will love being with us as much as we will love having her!

Cat's protection have been wonderful they even answered all of our concerns regarding allergies and things (we didn't know if any of us would be allergic having never had cats before!) so they allowed us to visit with Luna and other cats to ensure that wasn't a problem!

I will certainly put some pictures up of her, she is arriving tomorrow evening!
    I have saved my cardboard boxes from the cat tree and litter box I ordered for her :D I knew they would come in handy!

5. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

I am sure Luna will love it She may just be a little shy (or may settle right in) in the first few days so work at her pace with lots of play and it will be fine.

6. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new addition and well done on going for a black kitten, you are right these little panthers are the hardest to find homes for, heavens knows why!

Sounds like you are well prepared, all I would say is be prepared for your well laid plans to change depending on her personality. She may be shy as KCTT says or on the other hand she may be full of beans and desperate to explore! I was full of plans to confine Jaime and Bree to the spare room at first only to discover I had adopted the two nosiest cats in the universe :rolleyes::D needless to say within half an hour of getting them home my plans had gone out the window and they had the run of the place!

moggie14, crystalwitch and Fred&KiKi like this.
  7. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

My Brooke was from Cats Protection too! As she is a kitten, Luna should adapt very quickly, but just in case make sure the 'safe room' has places she can hide in. Brooke hid for 3 days when she arrived :(. But then it was like a switch went in her head and she followed me all about - scrabbling on the door so much that night I had to relent and let her sleep on my bed :)
    Just let Luna dictate the pace and never force her to do anything she's not happy about.

ewelsh likes this.
  8. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Check your kick plates on your kitchen cupboards, if there is the tiniest gap, you can guarantee they will get in there under your cupboards. Try to keep an eye on her as she runs around.
    Save your loo rolls!
    using double sided tape, you can stick them into a pyramid shape, then place the odd treat in one, or two for her to fish for. You can also wrap a treat in paper and throw it for her. Flower pots are good to hide treats under. This is especially good as she gets a little older, to stop her getting bored when you are out.
    We need photos!

9. Fred&KiKi

Fred&KiKi PetForums Member

My new kitten is obsessed with her cardboard box to which i have now added string and tied a few of her toys too! hours of fun! sounds like you have everything covered with the kitten, ours was too confident to be sectioned to one room so bare that in mind, they don't play by the rules! have you thought about bedroom routine etc? i found me and partner had not kitten proofed our stuff as well as we thought so have a double check through the house for naughty hidey holes (like behind the telly with all the cables!) hope you have lots of fun with your new bundle of fluff! and be prepared to look like a scratching pist yourself! :D

10. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

What a lucky girl Luna is to have found her new slaves! As Franlow said, watch out for the smallest of gaps. When we brought Tilly and Tara home they went straight under the radiator cover. As it was November the heating was on and we panicked that they couldn't get out. My OH had to get the screw driver out to remove the radiator cover from the wall to release them - we soon discovered, after putting it back on the wall, that they could quite easily get in and out of the cover!

11. LoonyLuna

I guess we will find out how kittens ''see'' things when she gets here! :rolleyes:

I keep thinking I've done everything I can and covered every basis but then i'll find something else and think ''that might not be safe'' she seemed quite confident when we visited her, although she did hide under the sideboard a lot!

It will certainly take me a while to get into the ''cat'' mind frame as we have always had dogs! I grew up with dogs but I always thought cats were very alluring! So after living in my home for a few years we decided a cat was for us.

I should also mention that I have a 1 year old son, who will be growing up alongside her, chasing after the two of them should be fun! I am determined to not allow any grabbing or scary behavior I certainly don't want her seeing us as anything to be afraid of! My son is very respectful of my Mam and Dad's dog so hoping the trend will continue, although I'm sure he will be bopped at some point!

There is a TV in the games room where she will be living until she settles so I'm determined to get into a routine of getting my son to bed and then going and sitting in the games room with her watching TV or reading a book to get her used to my voice and me being there! Although as you guys say if she's really confident she might be able to come downstairs with us sooner than we think! :Cat

ewelsh and crystalwitch like this.
  12. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Most kittens follow you about the house which is s good thing as you can keep an eye and also gently teach her what she can and can't do.
    It's night time when you need to be more careful, by providing a safe room for her to sleep in.

13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Exciting times for you all, bringing a new addition to the family :Cat Hide all breakables and swathe all wires in that protective wrapping, you can buy it from B&Q.

ewelsh likes this.
  14. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Use the litter she has had at CP. I used to send my kittens with a bag of the litter they had been using plus a small portion of their wet litter to make the new tray seem familiar.

15. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are very prepared and excited for your new addition! I am very envious, I miss that feeling! Looking forward to seeing some photos, good luck xx

16. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Sounds like she is a very lucky kitty, what an exciting day tomorrow. Looking forward to lots of photos.

ewelsh likes this.
  17. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Something to beware of is watch out for any pine furniture. We had a pine kitchen table and ours developed a liking for using it as a scratching post. Now we just fasten a piece of soft wood to a [metal] table leg and our current cat loves it [you just have to run the vac over the floor around it occasionally]. It cost nothing [just an offcut] and although there isn't too much left now [she has been going at it for 14 years] I suspect she will be using it for the rest of her life

18. LoonyLuna

Here she is! She is gorgeous and has settled in so far very well, she did cry in the night but I'm lead to believe that's normal? She was up wandering and exploring, had a little cry then settled down for sleep maybe three times?
    She hasn't eaten too much a couple of bits of dry food and a mouthful of the wet. She doesn't seem to have used the litter box either? I'm sure it's all because everything is new.
    Hoping that she settles even more today. I've already had lots of head bumps and rubs from her!

[​IMG]

SbanR, KCTT, oliviarussian and 3 others like this.
  19. Pocahontas31

Pocahontas31 PetForums Member

She is absolutely gorgeous! Did they say she is litter trained? Did you place her in the litter tray after eating? Don't worry too much, she might be slightly stressed with the move which is why she hasn't gone toilet yet. Once she is comfortable she will go. It took my Bella 2 days before she went toilet!
    It sounds like you are well prepared and you will make a fantastic cat owner. She's lucky to have you!

moggie14 likes this.
  20. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aw she is so cute! I'm sure she will make herself at home today x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice