Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by puppies4ever2000, Aug 27, 2009.

1. puppies4ever2000

puppies4ever2000 PetForums Newbie

Hi i am 10 years old,live with my parents and my younger bro.
    I desperately want a puppy but my dad wont even look into it! At the mo i am trying to convince them to move into a bigger house.Maybe then we could get a dog? Anyway, could you please give me some helpful hints, i really badly want a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_wub:

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hello there, I was in the same situation when I was younger, I used to dream of having a dog.
    My parents were like yours and at the time I used to think they were being horrible not letting me have one. But when I got older I realised what they were saying was totally true.
    There is a huge responsibility owning a dog, Food Bills, Insurance for the puppy, Vet fees which are very very high, you can expect to pay from £150 all the way up to £4000 if something went wrong with your puppy. Then there is the leads, collars, bedding, crates, food, worming tablets, flea treatment, toys, walks which the dogs would have to have on a daily basis, toilet training which can he hard work, kenneling when you go away on holidays etc etc, and that is just the begining.
    I think your parents will think the same as mine did, if we had a dog it will be the parents that would have to fork out the money for everything, taking it for its walks as yo will have school in the mornings.
    Why dont you wait until you are older and have your own little money coming in and then you can talk to your parents about getting one again then.
    It is lovely having a dog/puppy but they are hard work and cost alot of money.
    Prove to yor parents that you can be responsible in looking after a dog/puppy and ask them if they would conside it at a later time. This way it gives you quite a time to think about what breed of dog you would like. etc.
    I hope this helps you.
    Just think when you are older and have a place of your own you can own as many as you want then lololololo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Completely agree here, one thing you could do though is offer to help out at a rescue, you might be too young to be able to do much, but i'm sure there would be things you could do! I started volunteering at 13 so i'm sure there would be something for you out there!

Another option would be to contact some local breeders - someone who lives close by, that you could visit to help out with grooming or walking.... great way to prove your responsible!

4. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

When I was 11, I read Jack London's "Call of the Wild" and decided that what I wanted more than anything else in the world was a team of my own sled dogs. I waited over 30 years to make that dream come true. Now I have my own pack of Siberian Huskies and it was definitely worth the wait.

Don't be too impatient. Dreams can come true - eventually!:D:D

Mick

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I had a family dog when I was about 8. When I was 10 my mum decided he was being left too long and we took him back to the rescue.
    When I was about 13 I really really wanted another dog and I told my mum I would care for it etc but she refused as it would really be her responsibility.
    She would have to pay for food etc and look after it while I was at school so I gave up and spent all my time researching dogs, learing about breeds, learning as much as I could about training so I would be prepared for my own dog.

I had to wait until I moved out at 18 and I got a dog from the freeads and she slept on my bed when i was at college 3 days a week.

x

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Dogs are a lot of work a small puppy needs pretty much constant supervision during the day, a lot of training especially with house training. They also cost a lot of money a few hundred pounds for the puppy alone, the food, bedding, toys, insurance, vaccinations any unexpected vet bills then they need walked every day. I would wait until you get your own place thats what I did I always wanted a dog and when I got my own place I got 2 dogs

7. puppies4ever2000

thanks alot i might try this

8. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Look I know you might want a puppy now but what happens when it needs training and it really is hard work. I'm 13 so 3 years older than you and my family are just starting to look into getting a puppy because since I'm older I can do a lot more without supervision and I'll have a lot more responsibility. It is a big job and why don't you wait a few years? I've been waiting 6 for mine and it will feel better to know you have waited and done the right research instead of just begging.

Also, if you don't have that big a house you don't need to get your parents to buy a bigger house, just look at smaller breeds because they won't take up as much space!

The puppy won't stay cute and cuddly, remember. It will grow and become stronger and need lots of hard work. They need constant supervision and maybe your parents aren't up to this just yet.

Be patient and wait. It will happen, you just need to wait for the right time!

9. puppies4ever2000

But at dogs trust you can get puppies for free as long as you have a suitable lifestyle and i think that if we do move then we would have a suitable lifestyle. I desperately want a puppie cause i train all my friend fogs but it just isnt the same. i want to be able to walk it, feed it, spend loads of time with it.

My dad really wants me to be a dentist but i want to be a vet and have the whole town know my practices name. As well as being a vet i also want to own a rescue centre and be as big as dogs trust. I feel so sad but i am too scared to ask my dad any more. Like yesterday at dinner, I asked him what were his problems with moving to a bigger house and then getting a dog and he just went blank. He has previously said he wasnt sure if they could get another morgage so i am going to look into that. He had a dog before i was born cause my mum wanted one and he ended up doing all the work, but he hasnt given me a shot at it yet and prolly never will.

The guide dog trust are doing this thing where you can train a puppie from when it is young and when you feel that it has learnt enough then bring it back. But somehow we all agree that it would break our hearts. I just wish he would believe in me more. He doesnt trust me with anything right now. My mums seems very willing to move house and try to get a dog but he needs to open up a little.

I said that when i am older, done my 11+ and got a good job that we can live together in chigwell but i cant wait until then my heart is breaking. I dream about what could be all the time and on the last day of school 2 years ago i got sent to the head teacher because all i was doing was staring into space, Thanks alot for all your help, Bye:cursing:

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It doesn't matter if you can get the puppy for free I spent a good £150 for all the basics just for one puppy and was food, toys, bed, brush, treats worming tablets on top of that the vet bills cost a lot even with insurance. It hard to wait trust me I know I dreamed of owning a dog for years but its worth the wait.

11. -misty-

-misty- PetForums Junior

I know you may want a dog but I've now had misty for 2 years (13 on saturday :) ) and I have had to change my life style alot. It means I can't come home and go straight back out I have to wait till i've wlked and fed mist and then I still may have to do more. I would wait a while otherwise you may regret the decision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice