Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by candysmum, Apr 22, 2011.

1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#1 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I wouldnt worm again straight away hun. Its asking for bother putting that much chemical into a little puppy, they foten puke afterwards and that just shows how strong the horrible stuff is!! If it were my puppy I would wait another two weeks before worming again. I would risk the chemicals. Just my thoughts, am sure someone will come along.........

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I would just worm in 2 weeks as normal and give small carrot batons if you think she will be able to eat them in-between the doses

4. Agree with all Ceearott says And which wormer was the breeder using? Assuming assuming you are using the drontel liquid puppy, :)

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#5 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
  6. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

xx

#6 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
  7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sherleys is petshop wormer. Pretty horrible, and along the same lines as Bob Martins.

Im surprised a breeder would use such rubbish tbh.

Id seek vets advise regarding worming again. You dont want to overload a pups system with too many chemicals, but you have to take into account the damage a parasite infestation can cause.

8. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#8 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
  9. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Shirleys isnt all that bad lots of breeders do use it and yes its effective.
    Unless the bitch is wormed from day 43 of pregnancy all pups will be born with round worm.
    Due to the life cyle the pups do need wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks till 12 weeks then every month till 6 months.
    Pups are very rarely infected with tapeworm at such a youg age so do not really need a duel wormer a basic round wormer will do the job just as well.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just wondering if maybe the breeder only did them the once, the ones she used isnt good anyway. Usually its reccomended that you start at 2 weeks then every 2/3 weeks until 12 weeks old, then monthly up to 6mths, then every 3/4 months like adults. The reason being to make sure you have got all the life stages and got rid of them completely.

i wouldnt do it again for at least 2 weeks personally. I found with the Drontal one of mine was sick at couple of times and there has been a few posts on here lately saying dogs have been sick with Drontal. I originally used it for years no problems, although one of my previous dogs who was sensitive Was sick with it in the past.

I used the Panacur on mine when they were pups it is a gentle one does roundworm, some tapeworm and giardia. There is the Panacur paste, that you give a half dose for pups over 3 days which I used or there is the liquid
    also does the same parasites and milder too for pups. I had no problems with the paste, it comes in a syringe and is flavoured and both of them took it well.

Vet-Medic - the same medicines as your vet at consistently low prices. if you want to have a look is where I ususally get mine.
    was a lot heaper then the vets for the same thing.

11. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#11 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
  12. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I used that wormer with with my litter.. Never had any problems with it.. I think I used it from two weeks or something then every two weeks.. It was a while ago..

Also when I got bobby at 6 weeks he was wormed the first time.. with panacur and then I used Sherley's for Bobby.. never had a problem with worms.. And he was full of them when he came.. :(

13. Sled dog hotel

I had a very similar thing with Kobi, the breeder gave me a worming certificate too saying when they had been done. He was given advocate I think it was not long after I got him and when his worming would have been due vet said I didnt need to do it as Advocate did worms too. Not long after he swllowed a whole sock, and they had to give him an emergency injection to make him sick it up. A live worm load came up with it. So next day they told me to worm him. He actually passed whole worms for about 2 or 3 poos after that. In all the years I had dogs I had never seen anything like it. He was the 5th dog I had. Ive also got a worm phobia dont even like the garden variety, so was not happy.

14. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#14 candysmum, Apr 22, 2011
  15. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

hi, i had the same problem with lexie-it really is not nice to see little pups with worms.
    Lexie was really quite bad and vet recommended to worm at 5day intervals for 1st 2 weeks we had her-you really need to get rid of them nasty worms. i understand the whole in and outs that pups will have worms its just a fact of life, its up to us to minimise them and stop them spreading.
    it was Shirleys worming syrup that my vet told me to use then as lexie wasnt eating well at the time either. moved onto drontal and now panacur as you shouldnt use same wormers all the time as they can stop being effective.

16. Sled dog hotel

I just noticed you have another dog, it might be an idea to do her too if you havent already, The lot got done when Kobi was a pup and I saw them even though their normal 3 month one wasnt due yet for quite a few weeks.

17. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

No help, but I'm glad Floss is feeling better.

18. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oh bless her. I'd probably ring the vet for advice as to what to give her. I don't think its that easy to overdose on the worming stuff, we give our 27kg labrador a tablet for a 35kg dog (drontal).

The lab sicked his up the other week funnily enough and our vets said wait a day or two then give him another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice