Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help me please dashund

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jayloladash1, May 17, 2019 at 3:03 PM.

1. Jayloladash1

Jayloladash1 PetForums Newbie

Hi I have a mini daxi she is 1 and 6 months she is constant licking her bum I have taken her for her anal glands to be done loads of times now but still licking.

I think it is a food allergy she is on royal canin dashund dry food.

I am going to change her food what shall I go for that's good for dog allergies?

Please reply asap as she must me in agony. (Pref food I can buy from let's at home)

Thanks

Jay Dinham

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Choose a food with entirely different ingredients and swap her to that.

Chicken & rice is bland or Chappie wet (fish & rice) - might help release itching.

Look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk for food comparisons.

Chews/treats must be checked/changed too.

Look also at environmental factors: detergents, carpet cleaners, etc.

Ensure up to date on worming.

Maybe try bathing a few times in Hibiscrub.

Calvine and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. Jayloladash1

Jayloladash1 PetForums Newbie

Guessing we should do 1 at a time so we know what is the cause?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh if she’s that bad I’d do them all and get her comfortable ASAP, hopefully, then take a look at things.

Plain chicken & rice isn’t a complete food so would usually only be a temporary arrangement.

(Some dogs are allergic to chicken, of course. What is the protein in RC for example?)

If you go for Chappie then that will have other ingredients in so probably ok long term.

The other things I’d do anyway.

5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Has your vet suggested that this could be the cause? Compacted anal glands are very painful and if your dog suffers from this on a regular basis then this would explain the licking (as the area gets sore) but it may also mean that she needs antibiotics to clear (and flush) any infection. If the vet has done this and suggested it may be her diet then indeed I would look to change to a grain free alternative but you will need to harden her stools if she is to express her anal glands naturally. Bones are a good natural additive to help with this ie; raw chicken wings, as are eggs (shell on).

J

Lurcherlad and wee man like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I had assumed the vet had ruled out any underlying AG issues but yes, Jack had them emptied a few times then flushed and filled with antibiotics before they settled fully.

There was also a residual soreness/itchiness from the licking which I tackled with applying sudocrem before a walk (so it didn’t get licked off) and on return/after toileting, cleaning him with warm water and gently dabbed dry to prevent irritation and break the cycle.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice