Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me identify Stu!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Colette, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

This weekend I decided that Billy (no mates) my single remaining lampeye had been lonely long enough and really ought to have some mates, so I went to my local aquatics place and picked up 6 more lampeye.

Great, Billy is no-mates no more!

Except I discovered a tiny stowaway in the bag who I've nicknamed Stu.

Stu is a teeny weeny fish, a baby I presume.
    Little over 1cm total length. He's slender, with pointy fins and a pointy < shaped tail. The main part of his body is clear/neutral coloured. He has a black splodge in the middle (just in front of his dorsal fin), a smaller splodge on his dorsal fin, and a thin black line running along the middle of his body. He has red markings on his head, fins and tail.

Strangest of all is his behaviour. He hides in the gravel!

When he's up and about he mostly swims in the mid-upper levels of the tank, but otherwise he's nowhere to be seen.
    Yesterday I found him with just a tail tip and the front of his face sticking out from under some gravel. I assumed he was dead or dying, but poked him and he wriggled out and swam off. Most of the time I can't see him (he comes out in the evening, which is when I put the tank light on) so I think he is actually hiding amongst the gravel all day.

I think he looks a bit like a red phantom tetra, although I'm certainly not sure he is one. Is this a fairly likely possibility?
    Or does anyone have any other ideas what he might be?

Assuming he lasts the next fortnight I'd like to get him some friends, poor little bugger must be terrified on his own, but first I need to work out what he is!!

Fingers crossed he isn't some bizare shark species that's going to reach a foot in length!!

ETA - I'm now thinking he may be one of the boraras species? Argh...

#1 Colette, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

3. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Yes, those are the ones I was thinking of...

These are the best Stu pics I can get (he's right at the back of the tank so I can't get a close up) You can't see his colouring too well either - not helped by the red background!

Attached Files:

• 152.jpg
      152.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 157.jpg
      157.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice