Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me find a rescue dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by allanaw929, Dec 23, 2018.

1. allanaw929

allanaw929 PetForums Newbie

I'm in a situation at the moment that I'm unsure there's an answer to. I do not want to buy a puppy when there are so many dogs that need good homes out there. I have a house with a large secured garden, a 5 yr old male rescue dog who loves the company of other dogs and has shared his home before, I feed my animals the very best, they never get left alone, and are at the vets regularly. All in all, I'm the perfect owner, except for my only crime, I have a baby. I fell pregnant unexpectedly as I wasn't meant to be able to conceive, dogs have always been my life. I'm now informed by the rescue my current pup came from that they will not give me a dog until my child is much older, I'm devastated. My current dog just wants another sibling to play with before he's too old to enjoy it.
    I live in Scotland, does anyone have any ideas? I've been trying to console myself for months now but have almost got to the point of buying a dog which I've sworn never to do for many years now. If anyone out there is from the rescue community I'd really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks for reading xx

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Rescues don't view having a baby as a 'crime', but they do realise that there is a certain amount of risk in rehoming to homes with young children. They (quite rightly) have to put the dogs' needs first.

I realise not everyone struggles with dogs & babies but it is well known in dog rescue that a lot of their surrendered dogs originate from families with babies & young children.

There are rescues out there that rehome to families with babies, maybe look at one of those if you really feel you don't want to wait until your child is older.

Sairy, lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Hi i live in scotland too and, just this morning, i was out walking when who should i meet but my friend who has the 3 collies. A more dedicated dog owner you would be pushed to find. Competes in dog agility, dogs are well trained. She works as a dog walker. Dogs are her life.

So she tells me she has chosen a 4th dog. From Romania. (not a collie) i asked her why not from the UK - i know she has been keeping her eye out for a small dog for best part of a year now.

Well - none of the rescues will re home to her due to her 3 collies. She had been to many in Scotland, and many did not bother asking any questions about her at all. They just decided she wasn't suitable right away.

It used to puzzle me why so many people have dogs from Romania - maybe this is part of the reason.

Sorry i can't help but you are not alone with this.

4. allanaw929

Hi, thanks for replying. I absolutely agree with you, in many cases rehoming to a home with young children is more risky for the dog, I've seen so many dogs cast aside because people have no time for them anymore or because they are afraid the dog will harm their children. However I wish they judged each family individually (and each dog individually) instead of imposing this blanket ban. In my case I'm an older parent so there will only be one child, I work part time hours from home, love walking (we do at least 2 hours per day, often 3- baby stays in the house with his dad in the evening as it's cold).
    I constantly get praise for how well trained and friendly my dog is, all my dogs have been this way. I also have experience with fostering so I just feel that I'm an excellent candidate to rescue just now.
    You mentioned rescues that do rehome to people with young children, do you know any organisations in particular?
    Thanks again x

5. allanaw929

Hi there,
    Nice to hear from fellow Scots on here, I wasn't sure if I would. I always wondered why people rescued from abroad when there are so many dogs in UK centres but recently I've come to realise that this is probably the reason. If it comes to it I guess I could do the same but if it can possibly be avoided I'd rather not, I can't imagine taking on a dog without meeting them first. I know rescue centres are only interested in the safety and happiness of the dogs, I just wish they would evaluate each family individually instead of using a strict set of criteria.
    I'm glad your friend is getting the dog she wants finally, hopefully I will too. Thanks for replying x

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Small local rescues are much more lenient than the larger chain rescues. I'd have a good google and even look on local pages to see if there are any small rescues nearby as they will be much more likely not to have blanket policies and see every applicant as an individual and try and match you to a dog. You might have to have a home check etc now and then wait a bit for a child friendly dog, but once you are on their books it'll be a quicker process.
    I'm not a big fan of most foreign rescues as we have huge problems with them not giving any rescue backup and dogs end up getting taken in by other rescues, which of course means they take the spot of a different dog in need. Also I'd like to know how they do the child testing of these dogs in mass shelters on the continent...but that's for another day...
    By all means look at foreign rescues as there are so many foreign dogs needing help, but make sure they place dogs in foster first and do temperament and child testing for sure.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. adamantis

adamantis PetForums Member

Foxhound Welfare UK will re-home to people with young children, but hounds aren't for everyone!

As said above, a lot of the smaller rescues are more willing to look at you as an individual rather than crossing you off out of hand.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Have you checked out the dog rescue section of this forum? That Furever homes on there homes UK wide and seems to home to families with children.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Not in your area I'm afraid, I think it would be a case of asking around & getting recommendations.

A lot of the smaller, independent rescues will be more flexible about the ages of your children so they would probably be the best bet.

10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Greyhound rescue near me has definitely re homed to families with older children. (9yrs plus)

If you are considering a greyhound i could pm you details of the rescue i know.

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ps i don't know if they re home to families with under 5s - the people i know that have their greyhounds all have older kids. They might well re home to those with younger too.

12. XemzX

XemzX PetForums VIP

dogsblog.com is a good site for finding rescues. You could contact any you find in your area to see what their policies are. If you are able to travel, some rescues rehome nationwide.

I do think like @tabelmabel said, a lot of the foreign rescues are more open to rehoming in a variety of situations. One of my dogs is a rescue from galgos del sol, based in Spain and judging from my home check and their facebook pages, they use a common sense approach to what they consider a good home. They are a brilliant rescue but deal specifically with the galgo breed and occasionally other breeds.

My other dog is from the greyhound trust and I know they rehome where there are young children too, as there are a lot of families on the group walks the rescue organise. Though they too are breed specific to greyhounds.

I hope you manage to find a suitable rescue :)

13. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

Just remember if you take on a dog through a foreign rescue you may not have UK rescue back up

Lurcherlad and simplysardonic like this.
  14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed.

Please do research into the rescue, whether for UK dogs or dogs from abroad, much like dog breeders, some rescues are better than others.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice