Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me find a cat food!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lewis M, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Lewis M

Lewis M PetForums Newbie

Hey,

I have recently rehomed a cat which was on a dry/wet diet. She is an avid fan of dry food but not really wet food. When I got her she was on gocat of a morning and gourme perle/ala carte of an evening.

I've been lurking on here and reading loads on cat nutrition and I am happy to let her stay on 50/50 dry/wet (and truth be told, dry food is easier for me of a morning as it won't spoil when at uni/work), but I want to get the best possible diet within dry/wet.

I switched her to applaws dry with no issue whatsoever, but her wet food is a problem. She seems to be hooked on tuna/fish varieties (this is bad right?) and she won't even entertain pate or anything in jelly. So I'm looking for a high meat content food that is shreds and any advice on getting her off tuna/fish!

I have tried hilife and feline fayre as they are the only shredded complete foods I could find, they have a very light jelly so she will eat some of it. The only foods she will eat an entire portion of are either complimentary or gourmet perle.

Purely is next on my trial list but its not getting favourable reviews on P@H, it seems they have changed the recipe or something? Its also in jelly so I don't have high hopes.

I have seen some prepackaged frozen raw diets aswell which look like they have 'chew', which she may eat but I'm reluctant to try as I don't want to waste money on 1kg+ of frozen food for her to turn her nose at it which seems likely. I keep snakes and I have tried her with pinky/small mice and day old chicks and she just sniffs for a bit and wanders off. Same for raw chicken breast, chicken wings, and minced beef. She is a fan of sliced ham and cooked chicken however.

Help!

2. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Well, I have a cat who likes mostly shredded wet food and sadly I´m yet to find good quality complete ones. That said I would advice to feed wet in the morning and night. You can feed before you leave as your cat will eat it up and just leave a bit of dry to graze. In Zooplus which most of us shop, the good quality ones are Bozita, Animonda Carny and Grau. Some memebers feed on raw and they possibly will be able to advice you better. Welcome to the forum.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Lewis M, welcome to the forum:)

I am afraid it is doubtful that Feline Fayre is a complete food, in spite of what it says on the packet. HiLife (poultry flavours) is complete, but I believe it is being discontinued soon.

I don't know of any shredded foods that are complete, other than HiLife. Would your cat eat meat chunks in gravy? Or pate foods mashed with water?

Unfortunately when cats are fed tuna regularly they do seem to get hooked on it and refuse food that is better for them. Tuna, like all deep sea fish is contaminated with mercury and the govt's advice for humans (and pets) is to eat it in moderation, e.g. probably not more than twice a month or so.

It is best to take your cat off tuna completely, because if you just reduce the amount you give him he will just hold out, and keep refusing other food until you give in. The only time I give mine a bit of tuna, is in an emergency when they are poorly, have refused everything else including cooked chicken,
    and I am desperate to get some food and fluids into them.

To ease the transition to better food, I would give her boiled chicken with the cooking water, for a day or two, as you say she likes that. Then try her with one of the new foods.

I don't give my cats ham as it is cured meat (which is not good for them) and contains salt.

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Phew, it's a tough one.
    Millie came to me labelled as 'fussy' and only eating tuna flavour Sheba which gave her the WORST wind and dire rear...NOT a good look for a long haired white cat. :eek:
    I edged her over onto shredded chicken style mini-tins, Sainsburys, Tescos and Waitrose all do a home brand version for 55-60p a tin (!! ) and this was better on her tum but as mentioned above, dubiously 'complete' despite what the labels say.
    I am currently having success in the next stage which is shifting her over completely to home made raw chicken mix. I might add that this has taken nearly a year and we have had lots of backwards steps along the way. Do persevere though as I am sure you will manage to make the change. Also, Gourmet may not be the best, and may be expensive for what it is....but it is complete so don't get too stressed if she stays on this for a good while, it is better than the tuna.

5. kryten22uk

kryten22uk PetForums Junior

Why do the cat foods mainly come in mush/pate form? I've no doubt that they contain all the right goodness, but why do they need to blend the food to achieve it? Surely its better to give actual meat, like shredded chicken or tuna fillets. You know what you're getting then. Cant they just add the extra stuff in the surrounding sauce, like the taurine etc.

I've been used to complementary wet food, that actually looks appetising to me! But having tried to move from dry+complementary to complete-wet, I have to say that its not very inspiring.

Would you like to eat a pate mush every day? I guess they do it space:rolleyes:

6. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Other than supplements such as vitamins and taurine, offal, liver and bones form a part of cat food too, I can imagine cats picking and choosing what to eat if they're not blended in and therefore may not have the balanced diet still (is there a guarantee that a cat will lick/eat the sauce? They're such contrary creatures).

Unfortunately, offal can also make up quite a large percentage of medium-grade food and my cats don't really do whole chunks of offal and the only way to get them to eat offal and liver is to blend it into a meat mix.

7. CMH35

CMH35 PetForums Newbie

May I add myself onto this! I too am having a nightmare with my 2 cats.. He will eat most things she will not touch anything in Jelly, only gravy. I have tried all the good foods suggested and she turns her nose up, she loves the hilife tuna and squid but now I read it's not good for them on a daily basis. So unless I can find something she will eat it's back to gourmet. I do leave food down but after nearly 12 hrs I have to feed her so her willpower is strong!!! She won't eat dry food either now!!

Can anyone advise?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well, she needs to eat something, so if for the moment you have no choice but to feed her supermarket foods, then so be it. But I would avoid dry foods completely.

Cats are creatures of habit, and they like their routine, so this means some
    are very resistant to having their diet altered. Therefore it has to be done very gradually, at a pace they feel comfortable with.

Often, owners will put down a normal size amount of a new cat food and the cat refuses it, so the owner gives up and offers another new food, which is also refused, so another new food is offered and so on......
    The poor cat ends up so confused, all it wants is to be offered the food it is used to eating!

The best method I have found for adding to, or changing a cats diet is to offer a tablespoon of one new food on a separate saucer, alongside a plate of the food your cat normally eats. (Make sure the cat is properly hungry at the time). The cat will probably eat the usual food then sniff at the new food, but may not eat any of it at this stage. If the new food is untouched after an hour or two, take it up with a neutral attitude and without any comment, and bin it. Definitely do not leave it down all day, so it becomes stale and unappealing.

Continue the above regime for several days, and eventually the cat may take a mouthful of the new food. Continue offering both the ususal food and the new food, but gradually decrease the amount of the usual food, and increase the amount of new food. After a week (or less) the cat may be eating all the new food and leaving all or most of the old food. This is the time to stop giving the old food and keep giving the new food.

It is a good idea to have 3 separate well-liked foods to feed in rotation, as this avoids the cat becoming bored. Also means you have something to fall back on if one of the foods becomes unavailable or is discontinued.

Don't make the mistake of trying to introduce yet another new food too soon though. After successfully adding one new food I would give it a month before adding another one.

Bear in mind, with the method I have outlined there will inevitably be some foods the cat will not eat, even after you have put out a sample for a week. Cats all have their individual personal preferences after all. :)

Tuna, like all deep sea fish is contaminated with mercury, and the government's advice for humans (and pets) is to eat it "occasionally", perhaps twice a month. Trouble is tuna cat foods have a very strong
    scent to them and the cat gets used to this and seems to find other foods unappealing by comparison. Personally I keep a few tuna cat foods in the cupboard for emergencies only, when one of my cats is off their food due to being unwell.

So, you will have a slightly harder job, IMO, weaning a cat off a tuna diet. But it can be done, just needs patience and perseverance. :)

#8 chillminx, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. robinmbers

robinmbers PetForums Newbie

good idea,Other than supplements such as vitamins and taurine, offal, liver and bones form a part of cat food too[​IMG]

10. kryten22uk

kryten22uk PetForums Junior

The wet foods recommend 3 pouches per day. Is it ok to do two pouches of say Lilys Kitchen complete food and one of a shredde/fillet meaty complimentary? Or is the cat then not getting enough of the additives that go into the complete?

11. Hannahmourneevans

Hannahmourneevans PetForums VIP

Our cats will only eat Applaws wet food. They like any good quality dry but we do give them wet as a treat.

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie PetForums Member

Hi, my understanding is that complementary (incomplete) foods should not make up more than 20% of the diet; that is to say, one meal out of five.

Is it possible to tempt your cat to eat more of the complete foods by adding a small amount of the complementary food on top and mixing it in a little...?

I really do sympathise. As I write this I have a cat next to me (adopted from a neighbour) who really would like to only eat tuna fish if he had a choice. Sometimes, when he refuses to eat the foods that are 'best' for him I'm forced to add a little tuna on top. But these days I add 'Smilla' tuna cat food, not the tuna for humans, so that's progress of a sort.... :rolleyes:

Edited to add:Actually, Felix 'As Good As It Looks' is complete and also has quite a flakey/shredded sort of texture (in a little jelly). It might suit your cat. However, it does contain vegetable ingredients ('vegetable protein extract') which I suspect is soya. Some cats are sensitive to this. (It raises the blood sugar in my diabetic cat, for example; though I know of others who are just fine on it)

#12 Elizabeth and Bertie, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice