Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help me - dog digging

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Eleanor Jones, May 24, 2018.

1. Eleanor Jones

Eleanor Jones PetForums Newbie

Hi there
    Im having lots of trouble with my rescue pointer/springer. We've had him two years and in the last couple of months his minor digging has become major digging.

He is walked twice a day in different places, we hide a Kong, treats and even leave cardboard boxes with toys or treats or scent drops hidden in the house or garden EVERYDAY!!!

He has run of the house and garden all day long and we have even created him a digging pit (as per advice on digging dogs) with buried treasures and scents.

Everyday in the last few months I've come home to shredded plants and destroyed flower beds. I'm a professional gardener so I'm in pieces about the state of my expensive and precious garden.
    We've even then to sticking thorny rose stems and sticks in the ground to try and deter but to no avail.

Ive got no idea what to do as we couldn't possibly provide any more simulation for him in the day and exercised morning and evening. He's always been hardwork with the mix of those two breeds. A mind of his own and a high hunting drive mixed with the troubled rescue past, makes him high maintenance.

Please help I'm on my knees!!! We've also got our first baby due in 7 weeks so could this be related????

Ellie Jones

#1 Eleanor Jones, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I think the only solution is to fence your digging pit and pop your dog in to dig away!

It must be a breed thing. My friend is driven spare with her springer digging up her garden and my brittany digs bits of turf and eats them too.

So close supervision when you're around and containment (of your dog, plants or both!) when you're not.

Unless anyone has any better ideas. . . !

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I always like the idea of a digging pit which should encourage the dog to dig in that spot - however a dog has to be taught to use it and during that time be dissuaded (prevented) from taking out his energy elsewhere.

With high energy, highly motivated dogs it isn't all about exercise and stimulation, in fact it's more about teaching them when and how to switch off ...which is often much harder.

If you have given your dog the run of the whole house and garden all day long I would suggest he simply has too much freedom.

There may well be a reason for his change in behaviour and if the timing suits with your pregnancy then I suspect he is conscious that there are hormones afoot which have increased his anxiety.

I would look to only give him supervised access in the garden ...or fence off a play area (including pit). You say he receives a fair amount of exercise/stimulation so at other times I would be teaching him how to settle, controlling his area and using activity toys/Kongs and chews to teach calm.

J

4. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Separate dog and garden or supervise dog when in garden. Those are the only answers. Our neighbours have a spaniel who is so old and arthritic she can barely walk...but she still managed to stagger over here this morning and dig to the bottom of a very large stone trough. Acres of ground she could have dug but oh no, it has to be our trough.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My lurcher is an angel in almost every way, but if left to his own devices in the garden will find a bit of bare soil to dig.

I supervise him out there and block his access to the beds. They are pretty well stuffed with plants as I’m a keen gardener but having just filled a few spots in the front of borders with some bedding, have put expanding trellis or wire edging panels across to keep him off as they will be like a red flag to a Bull! :)

Whilst putting a barrier up round the borders might not be ideal, the plants do soon camouflage it and it might help to break the habit.

If the only access to dig your dog has is in his pit it might just work.

Eleanor Jones likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice