Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP ME !!?!?! bad breeder??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by neko, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neko

neko PetForums Member

I have removed this post. I asked a question that was not answered. instead i was needlessly patronised by assumptious uncomprehending people. and then called a troll? by someone who comments my post with just; 'it's a troll' and nothing in relation to my post what so ever?
    how dare you:/
    and i also think it's really immature!
    i have better things to do with my time than defend myself to people online.
    how am i a troll?
    why would i bother to make a fake post? about a fake problem? that's so stupid!
    it's not like i'm leaving a link to a dodgy site or anything:/

#1 neko, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I wouldn't give her my money but I also wouldn't expect to view a 3 week old kitten. I think that's a little risky for the kitten.

Most breeders I have interacted with don't push for early deposits as they are not desperate to sell kittens. I would find someone else.

Azura likes this.
  3. stevenco

stevenco PetForums Junior

If you don't think its right don't do it. i'm sure there will be some more kittens out there somewhere. what breed was you getting.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As dissapointed as you are, as you were loooking forward to getting your kitten, honest answer I would give this woman the wide berth if it was me.
    If shes being this evasive, and seems that un interested where her kittens end up, I cant see her being any better when she gets your money.

I take it its a pedigree you are were getting. There will be others. Just do your research and actually speak to a few more breeders, you sound knowledgeable so should be able to suss out out a good caring one, whos not going to give you all this hassle. This one sounds very iffy to me.

5. ajohnson

ajohnson Banned

Sounds a bit fishy to me if I'm honest.

6. Shayden

Shayden Banned

I would leave her to it. if the kittens are still avaliable at 9 weeks then go along and see them but you obviously already have bad feelings towards her so y would u want to give her your money! what kind of kitten are you looking for?

7. tjk

tjk PetForums Senior

if you are posting here you already know the answer to your question:(

ive just gone on two waiting lists this is the first time ive dealt with proper breeders so im a little unsure of myself as to what to look out for even after alot of research but i am more than happy with the two that have added me their emails are full of advice questions reasurence and general chat i feel relaxed and exited after speaking with them not anxious or worried if you are feeling like this my sugestion would be
    walk away :( sorry

8. Shayden

Shayden Banned

theres quite afew very good and ethical breeders on this site. if you tell us what kind of cat your looking for im sure some1 can point you in the right direction!

first thing i would look for is both parents are health tested... tests usually depend on the breed.

another major thing is that they keep the kittens till bare minimum 12 weeks. ideally 13. most decent breeders wont allow outside contact until the kittens are 4/5 weeks plus... i defenatly wouldnt! due to infection

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

alot of breeders dont allow visits until 9weeks of age, but I dont know any of them that would take a deposit on a kitten at 3weeks then not let you visit for another 6, normally its handed over once the kitten has been pickwed & you have visited.

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Do not put a deposit on a kitten without seeing it first :nono: I can understand a breeder no allowing visits before nine weeks but it is very unethical imo to ask for a deposit before viewing.
    I think you already know that you shouldn't be going for this kitten :( but there are plenty of good breeders around so it's worth waiting. Unfortunately having a breeding prefix and being registered is not all that goes into being a good breeder :(
    I have to say I often don't get the chance to ask many questions as people viewing my kittens are eager to tell me all about their pets and what sort of home they are going to provide for one of my babies :)
    I see from your post you already have a Ragdoll - are you looking for another?

11. MatildaG

MatildaG PetForums Member

Can you give the breeder a call and speak to her on the phone? It may be she doesn't have a great email manner and you'll soon be able to tell if she's avoiding questions over the phone.

That's if you want to give her the benefit of the doubt for the moment although it does sound like she's hiding something if she's not replying/ignoring questions. It may be best cuttings your losses and finding a breeder who operates in a way you feel more comfortable with as everyone does it differently (aslong as they are doing it safely e.g. I wouldn't recommend anyone that lets you view at 3 weeks).

MG x

12. neko

neko PetForums Member

it's not a case of me expecting to view the kitten at that time, it's literally what she said! when i asked how old theyll be when i am able to view them.
    it's not risky for the kitten at all though, i wouldn't be handling unvaccinated or dirty animals and then going to her house and handling them, viewing them as babies would be just that. viewing.

13. neko

neko PetForums Member

i actually don't have any 'bad feelings' toward her at all!
    i've seen pictures of my kitten he looks big and healthy, pictures where he is being held.
    i'm not going to not give someone money for something just because i don't like them.. it's not based on if i like her or not!
    and if i'm honest i didn't have any bad judgements about her at all until she started getting worse and worse with me about this.

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Doesnt matter, Kittens shouldnt be viewed until 4weeks minimum due to their immune systems, then it is a bit hard picking out a kitten that isnt doing much if you are going on personality!

dont visit any other cats/kittens for 24-48hours before, then shoes off at the door and anti bac used on your hands.

Ive never had people just come to 'view' my kittens standing there staring at them! They play with them and pick them up etc

If your not worried or have any bad feelings about her, I dont get why you posted about her being a bad breeder if your happy and still going to buy the kitten...whats the point in the thread then? :confused:

Anyone can send pictures, doesnt mean the kitten even exists!! Always visit before putting a deposit down!

15. neko

neko PetForums Member

I have a pedigree cat already, i know how to choose a cat. she is a registered breeder. the alarm bells started to go off from what she was saying to me, and what she wasn't saying.
    information about the parents being tested and such is on her website already. it's open knoelwdge.. i don't think breeders are allowed to be registered and i doubt any clubs would put them on their lists if their breeding cats hadn't had their tests
    there wouldn't be any risk of infection from contact with me and my mother as all of my animals have had their vaccinations and miyu being pedigree i keep all her documents and reciepts. i think my mom keeps hers for her cat also. i wouldn't touch my animals before going to meet an unvaccinated kitten anyway, nor would i go near my animals after meeting an unvaccinated kitten, i'm sure it's common sense right?
    if someone with pets that arent vaccinated is wanting to meet your kitten.. then no they can't. obviously. but if their animals are vaccinated indoor only animals there shouldnt be any problem with it.
    it shouldnt be a case of not allowed people to meet your kittens until theyre vaccinated.. it should be a case of making sure that they have their animals vaccinated and are completely clean before meeting your kittens.. also i dont think its right to want a deposit at 3weeks met or not. i dont think deposits should be given or expected before any vaccinations because some kittens DO become ill from the vaccinations.
    also it kind of bugs me if breeders keep their kittens for too long, as its upsetting for the cat, bonding with their breeder and siblings and then being taken away, sure this doesn't bother them in the long term but it can be rather distressing, also the cat will still bond with his or her owner.. but they couldve bonded a lot better! if they had met sooner! or even gone with them sooner
    i think in the case of no experience and no proof of experience with young kittens or baby animals in general then it isn't ok.
    but i am actually an experienced owner of animals and have been raising animals from babies ..well pretty much my whole life.
    i had a rat from birth who was rejected by her mother (not because she was a runt.. the litter was just very large and she lived until she was 5 going 6 and if she hadnt gotten cancer that spread to her mouth she would have probably lived longer) as long as the kittens independant from his or her mother, onto it's own diet, and active it's ok for someone who is experienced with babycats to have them. i think in some cases.. keeping a kitten for so long can be detrimental.

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

17. neko

neko PetForums Member

the way im saying things and the way youre taking them is different.
    i'm saying i don't have bad feelings toward her. i'm worried because of how she is acting now, things are now adding up and seeming off.
    "i didn't have any bad judgements about her at all until she started getting worse and worse with me about this.
    i'm not sure whether im going to buy the kitten or not i was asking if it were normal for breeders to get like this once in a while, if it was normal/ok for them to want a deposit at 3 weeks.
    also.. i wasnt saying she sent pictures meaning.. the kitten is definitely hers it exists it is there. i meant i've seen picture sof him; he looks healthy, and the right size for his age(1 month tomorrow).
    though id ont believe this person would make a whole website ..make a dozen other websites to pretend to be people she has supposedly bought from and sold to..
    leave her self messages in her guestbook steal pictures of kittens
    this was NOT just some email address and 'we have kittens for sale now email us' post on a listing websitel.
    i went to her website from a list of breeders in my area.
    i checked her out she has a guest book she has bought from breeders she has sold to breeders she has sold to general other people who arent breeders the ones who are breeders have their own sites and the links were in the guestbook on those sites they have their own guestbooks and so on..
    though i wasnt seeing the picture as being evidence that she has kittens/is legit. i was just stating the kitten looks healthy and such as stated.
    that said i don't believe that the picture isn't hers and she's a full time scammer.
    i do believe she mayb have seen an opportunity to rip me off and is trying to take it.

update: just saw this..
    "dont visit any other cats/kittens for 24-48hours before, then shoes off at the door and anti bac used on your hands.

Ive never had people just come to 'view' my kittens standing there staring at them! They play with them and pick them up etc"
    thats exactly what i would of done if i'm going to view a kitten that isn't vaccinated.
    (which is what she said was the time i was to view them.. i didn't contact her saying something like.. oh can i view them at 3 weeks please? i asked when it's ok to view them and she said 3 weeks!)
    if i viewed the kittens at 3 weeks ofcourse i wouldn't touch them! what i meant by viewing them(in the case of them being so young.. NOT all viewings.. obviously in normal circumstances viewing a kitten would ofcourse! mean handling them playing.. but in the case of such young kittens! i meant viewing as in assessing how they are playing, how they're walking.. what they're doing.. how they're interacting with other animals, people, and things around them. talking to the breeder about how they're growing and moving forward, how much they're feeding etc..
    their development basically! i'm NOT going to pick up a kitten that isn't old enough to be handled by people it(and it's MOTHER) are not used to!
    (THEN i would come to view again later on.. THAT time i would be handling them and seeing how they are with that.. and how they are with me, their personality etc..)
    ofcourse it doesn't apply for EVERYTIME i'm to view a cat or kitten. i meant in this circumstance.

i cant comprehend how you would of thought in the first place:/

#17 neko, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  18. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lol well there are people out there fdoing just that! so never be fooled!

there is no reason why you cant visit now, and just say to her Ill leave a deposit when I visit at 9weeks old and know the kitten exists and are healthy. the only reason people would accept a deposit as if the person lives the other side of the country and cant get to you, but you have spoke at leangth on the phone :)

19. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

In that case any good breeder would keep the kitten until it was well or refund your deposit
    My kittens do not leave until they are a minimum of 13 weeks old and will still feed from their mother up until that time. How is keeping a kitten to that age detrimental? A kitten learns from its mother and its litter mates and just because you may have hand raised other animals it does not make it right to take a kitten from its family until it has learned its behaviour from them.

20. neko

neko PetForums Member

no not another ragdoll. miyus my only raggie <3 but i might get a muffin at some point in the future.. when i have my own house.
    i have contacted a few breeders, but been let down each time(poor communication.. being elusive.. randomly cutting contact.. phone numbers nolonger working when i was asked to call back the next day)
    i've waited each time to see if theyd get back intouch..
    i'm not someone who goes from one to another really. i'd feel bad it might seem rather silly but.. the way i see it is.. im not going to contact a lot of breeders at once because if there are two kittens i am interested in i am only going to choose one and i would be letting the other down if we had met or if the kitten(because lets face it animals are aware of just as much as we are.) realises that there is someone possibly going to become their new home.
    i've already bonded with this little guy quite alot so it's very difficult to walk away especially when i know i can give him such a GOOD home.
    i have a ragdoll cat, she was spayed a little late because i was so fussy about choosing a vet after my mouse was overdosed.
    and now she (you know the call mommy cats do to call their kittens?) she does that alot and becomes very distressed about it i think she probably thinks she has a litter and canm't find them(shes kind of dopey like that.. if i play babycats crying for their mom she will come running wide eyes crying for them and looking desperately) the spaying was part of the contract i signed. she has a blocked tear duct because of a cold she caught when she was very young(still with her breeder i found her last min, i'd been looking for a ragdoll kitten for a while.. i couldnt take both her and her sister i didnt think my mom would allow it, but i wonder alot.. about her sister:( she was so lovely too. i think because she couldnt be rehomed she was put to sleep -__-) because the breeder was adimant she couldnt keep them with her, theyd be no good for shows or breeding, but they were her 'world' and i'd be taking 'a piece of her heart' with me.. actually as soon as i left her feedback in her gb she cut contact, we've sent her updates, videos, photos of my kitty but no interest at all! not even messaged us or phoned to see if she had been spayed! we emailed her when she had but.. nothing.
    it's such a shame. it doesnt matter! that she has a blocked tear duct she is PERFECT.nobody would buy her or her sister because of that?
    so the kitten really.. i've wanted a mainecoon for a while but, it's also for my ragdoll my moms cat is nice to her, they play sometimes, he generally stays clear, and if she wants to play with him:)'( she used to play chase with me and play fight b ut i really think shes going through a phase where she wants nothing to do with mommy D: now she has friends.. T_T when hes around i get completely ignored.. or even pushed away if i try to cuddle her >_<!) i think a kitten would be good for her, my moms cat is really really old so he doesnt do much u_u.. i'm hoping she'll adopt the kitten as the baby she's been looking for and think she's finally found him(which will make me a nana ._.'') i dont want to buy too far from my area as the travel is distressing for the kitten.
    (Miyu was fine though when we got her home, she cried in the car a bit but as soon as she was out in my room she was playing with me then we fell asleep together o_O (she fell asleep on my chest <3 ))
    but it seems the breeders in my area are.. i dont know.. sketchy? im sure theyre good breeders and their animals are healthy. if it were a case of them not looking after their animals i'd of called somebody by now ^_^; and i wouldnt consider buying. i'd rescue any animal that needed it really but i refuse to fund animal cruelty, especially in the form of bad breeders.
    i did give her quite a bit of time to ask anything she needed, but she just doesn't seem very interested at all.
    i researched and waited for almost a year because i wanted to make sure miyu had all the attention from me while she was still developing and such.. now she's... well shes in this phase she doesn't seem to need or want me at all right now:glare: apart from the odd occasion my moms cat isnt around and she turns into a softycat ball of mush on me.
    really shes acting like a teenager u_u;;
    her eye isnt troublesome at all by the way, it needs wiping with warm water now and then but other than the occasional build up it doesn't cause her much hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice