Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Massively underweight kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by firstprincess, Jul 14, 2012.

1. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Hi.

I posted a few weeks ago about a mummy cat who got mastitis and refused to feed her babies - they were hand reared, a nightmare to wean as they showed no interest and then got diarrhoea because of the change in diet.

They've been vet checked 5 times. And are now 7 weeks. 4 of the litter are only 350g (makes me so sad) - they dont look too skinny because they literally fit in your palm. The others are 400-500g and one is a huge 756g. They all eat - high life 80 percent meat, and smilla. Vet has checked none have deformities, heart murmurs, bacterial infs etc. Never had somewhat as a sneeze from them. So what the hell? Im lost at what to do with the tiny ones, they are wasting away...

Please help

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Have they been losing weight or are they just tiny and growing slowly?

3. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

They lost weight with the diarrhoea. The 4 bigger gain steadily. But the 3 smaller do well (5g gains daily) for a few days then drop about 20g.... even though they are eating. We had a faecal sample done to eliminate parasites etc which was negative. They have been wormed etc too. Im at a real loss, and so is my vet.

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

They might just be growing really slowly. Kittens do all grow at different rates - my little one is growing much more slowly than her big brother did!! But she is healthy and getting there now!! :) Do they eat much at mealtimes or just a little? :confused:

#4 Treaclesmum, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

In a situation like this and with nowhere else to go I'd turn to antibiotics. I'm not a fan of them for the sake of it but if your vet will give you Synulox drops it's worth a try - nothing to lose and everything to gain.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Mastitis is a bacterial infection and will have been culturing nicely in the mum's milk ducts before it got too painful for her to feed the kittens. There's the chance that your little ones are fighting a low grade infection which is why they're up and down.

7. scatchy

scatchy PetForums Member

I am no expert on hand rearing kittens (who is) but have done it a few times.
    My comments are that hand reared kittens very often are small. Hand rearing will always only ever be second best to a real feline mum.
    If the kittens are now eating solids they should pick up in time.
    Remember that kittens have small stomachs anyway and a very small kitten will have a tiny stomach so it will seem to eat little, in fact that could be good, if they gorge they can get tummy upsets.
    The thing is to feed them frequently, small amounts but lots of times.
    Losing their mums milk then getting diarrhoea has given them a severe set back and it could take a while to regain the ground that was lost.

8. househens

househens Guest

I raised 10 kittens from a couple of feral cats, that came between 2 and 4 weeks, (1 set of 3, 3sets of 2, and one single) last year and I have to say, they have simply blossomed with me. Most would die, if left with the mother and these always came very thin and wormy.

I usually use full cream powdered milk, don't even use the special milk. I live in a remotish area, and couldn't buy kitten milk. Even at 3ish weeks, I start putting some gravy from 'casserole' tinned mix, in the milk I also, around about 4 wks, mix the powdered milk, with human grade mince, and make it a rather mushy slop, in the lid of a jar, and I have to say, they DIVE on it. Tend to suck it up, while the others try to push them out. Within 2 weeks, they are huge, glossy, happy and confident, thundering around the house, climbing on the dogs; the curtains, wondering why hens are so mean... I can't get them in the computer, but have photo's of of 2,3,4 week kittens being licked clean by my smallest dog, and sleeping with her, etc. I caught one wild 8ish week kitten, so all up, 11 last year, and rehomed 8. So have 3 new cats, approaching 1... Not Happy. 2 tiny 3 weekish boys, are now huge glossy pitch black boys, who curl up with dogs, to sleep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice