Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - mare has been out of work a year now lame

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by DaniellaSeymour, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DaniellaSeymour

DaniellaSeymour PetForums Newbie

Hi, new to this forum malarkey. Need some advice (no nasty comments please)
    My mare (ISH) has been out of work for a good 15 months whilst I was pregnant and during my maternity leave.
    I have started bringing her back into work the last couple of weeks but not started lunging or anything yet, just a walk out small hacks (around 20 min walking only).
    Long story short, she is a little on the chubby side and is extremely unfit. My friend asked if she could ride her last weekend and I said ‘ok take it easy though as she’s unfit still’
    This morning found her really lame, she can’t even trot and it’s more her hind legs. They’re not warm and don’t look swollen..

could this be because they’ve done too much with her on the hack due to her being unfit?
    I’m hoping that’s all it is and I’ve put her on box rest and will assess again in two days time

wont be letting people ride her without my supervision again!

Any advice welcome please.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How old is your mare and does she have arthritis?

We had an 18 year old gelding on our yard who had been out of work for a year and was unfit.

His owner gave someone permission to ride him and they did far too much with him. Like your mare, he was extremely stiff and sore for several days after.

DaniellaSeymour and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. DaniellaSeymour

DaniellaSeymour PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply!

she is 13 and has slight arthritis in her hind legs but usually only bothers her if stabled - that’s why I’m a bit unsure about too much box rest?!

She has never been lame like this the last couple of years I have had her but she had always been in work before her year off. Only a little stuff at first if stabled too much.

I don’t want to get the vet out yet and see what she’s like tomorrow and see if I can turn her out .

how long would you keep her off work for? I’m just starting to get her back into work and this is a set back I didn’t want :-( I think they did far too much...

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It does sound like she’s been over worked tbh and suffering from stiffness and possible muscle pain :(

Sadly, some people just can’t be trusted ime.

I’d see if she improves within the next couple of days just being turned out, so she doesn’t seize up. If not, I’d have the vet to check her over.

Getting her back into work after such a long break anyway will need to be very gradual.

DaniellaSeymour likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice