UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will be picking up our new working cocker x toy poodle next weekend and am in the middle of the maze that is what to feed him. I am torn between Applaws, Barking Heads or Fish4Dogs. Im slightly put off of F4D because of the smell and am leaning towards Applaws but after reading until my eyes hurt I am still not 100% - is the protein content just too high? At the moment Doodle is being fed cheap supermarket dry so I realise anything would be better than that but am just looking for a little guidance please. If anyone can spare some advice. Thanks - and please be gentle coz I'm new to all this!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sixstar

Thanks for the welcome. I have looked through your index, I keep going back to it over and over! I think I've made the final decision then I come across another post or website or review which makes me question myself. This is not easy and I haven't even got him home yet!! :confused:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Can I advise that you buy a small bag of what you've decided on to start off with? I've have sacks of this and that in my garage as my dog decided she would rather starve than eat it. And that includes fish4dogs and Applaws. :mad:

Unless you happen to live in Essex and want some half opened bags.....?:)

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
My take on those 3 would be

Barking Heads is a good quality middle of the road food - if I remember correctly the lamb one is best.

Fish4Dogs is a great cereal free food that loads do v well on. Personally I have this thing that dogs dont naturally opt for fish as a food base so Heidi has fishy treats but meat based food.

Applaws gets my vote. Not quite as good as Acana - they use all fresh ingredients whereas Applaws use dried herbs etc. That said, it all ends up dried.

I'b be inclined to start with a small bag of Applaws, perhaps get some BH/F4D samples as treats just incase you have to change.

One v lucky puppy:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi BessieDog

Thanks for your reply, I can imagine I will end up with lots of opened bags in the garage too! Funnily I do live in Essex:D
Think I'm gonna go into a local independant pet store and maybe Jollyes and have an exciting afternoon looking at dog food!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mum2Heidi
I have the puppy club F4D samples already, so will get a small Applaws and maybe a sample of something else and give it a go. Sometimes there is just too much choice!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If it were me. I'd base it soley in ingredients. And of those three Applaws wins.

It has the highest meat content. And the least fillers. Which is pretty much what people should always look for in a dog food (baring special diets etc).

Whatever you decide obvious swap the food very gradually and most important of all, post puppy pics when you get the baby home!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My rescue boy was very fussy and just loves Applaws. It doesn't look much to feed but his weight is steady. He's 13.5 kg and gets two 90 gm meals a day. He has to work for it, mat work or we lay trails all over the house, sometimes kong, otherwise it's gone in seconds!! i did request a free sample but it took ages to come. When I swopped him from Burgess hypoallergenic he used to pick out the Applaws and leave the Burgess!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'm going with the Applaws, gonna get a bag of supermarket stuff to mix with as that's what he's being fed at the moment and gradually add more Applaws and less supermarket stuff, and hopefully it will be that easy (??!!) Time will tell and thank you to everyone who responded! Puppy pictures to follow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Up until a few months ago we fed our boxer Bruno Harringtons and our bulldog Brian Pets at Home Advanced Nutrition sensitive. However Bruno started with a allergy which after various tests turned out to be a food allergy, after much research we decided to move both dogs onto a much better food- Orijen. After a few weeks on this Brian was continuiously sick after feeding so we moved him back to his previous food. We were concious of trying to get him onto a 'better food' (we have reviewed sixstrix's food list vigirously) and decided to try him on applaws sensitive...again he was constantly sick so we moved him back onto Pets at Home Advanced which he was settled on.

After reading really good reviews on F4D I emailed and asked them to send me some samples which they were more than happy to do along with sending us some samples bags of the sea jerky treats. Brian tried the F4D mixed with some of his normal food and was fine so we decided to try feeding him a full meal of F4D and he happily ate this with no sickness.

Bruno, since moving onnto Orijen continued with various ailments such as red puffy eyes with sores and dry scabs on his back resulting in us going back and forth to the vets. He lost a lot of weight which meant we were having to feed him extra orijen plus feeding him mince inbetween to try and bulk him out.He also suffered with continous runny poos.

After having good results with Brian we moved bruno onto F4D and straight away his poo's have firmed up, he has gained weight and his eyes are clearing up.

After this I would suggest F4D all the way!! I dont believe that Orijen or Applaws are bad foods to feed your dog but both are very rich with high protein levels which I believe caused Brians sickness and Bruno's constant runny poo's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rachel Nrbr. I do have a couple of samples of the F4D so if I get nowhere with the Applaws I will try that. Glad you got Bruno and Brian sorted. Can't wait to get Doodles - not long now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.