Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - lumps on gold fish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Aaron87, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Aaron87

Aaron87 PetForums Newbie

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It looks like a tumour. They are rarely treatable unfortunately and the kindest thing to do is when the fish does start showing signs of distress to humanely euthanise with clove oil.

I have had a few fish who have had tumours over the years which I have had to put to sleep eventually.

I hope your fish has some more good times ahead. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

3. Aaron87

Aaron87 PetForums Newbie

Hello - thanks for the reply - I thought it was something like that and was trying to find the best way to euthanise it - but couldn’t find anything so thank you for the clove oil suggestion. How much does it take to work??

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

You need to make sure you get pure Clive oil with nothing else added. It dissolves poorly in water so you need to make sure you mix it very well. Don't add alcohol as some instructions suggest to help it dissolve as this is a major irritant to fish.

I follow these instructions from practical fish keeping magazine and they work well

Clove oil, containing the ingredient eugenol, is good but has minor issues, in that it isn’t always readily mixed with water, preferring to remain as clusters of oily droplets. In an ideal world, it could be made into a stock solution ready for use, mixed with ethanol, which would allow easy application. But we then face the issue of adverse reactions to ethanol.

Current clove oil methods involve adding a dose of 400mg/l to water, and premixing it so that all of the oil has emulsified. The fish is then transferred to this water, after which it will lose consciousness within seconds, and breathing will quickly cease. Eventually the fish will succumb to hypoxia and die, though like other methods this can vary in timescale from fish to fish. It is recommended that the fish be left in the solution for at least two hours.

5. Aaron87

Aaron87 PetForums Newbie

Thank you

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I mix the clove oil with some warm kettle water first then add it to the correct volume of water in a separate container which I have taken from the fish tank (don't get any clove oil in the tank ).

Net the fish and gently lower into the water containing the well mixed clove oil. The fish will loose unconsciousness pretty quickly. However death can take much longer. I have once the fish is deeply unconscious add a little more well mixed clove oilpolygon just left fish and contain we in a dark quiet place for a few hours. I tend to thethen leave it overnight just to be sure but the fish should be dead after a few hours..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice