Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Kitten keeps wee'ing on my duvet!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jillth666, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jillth666

Jillth666 PetForums Junior

Hi there,
    I have a 13week old kitten called Tilly and she keeps wee'ing on my duvet!
    I have tried to keep her out of my bedroom but the times she has sneaked into my room she wee's on the duvet within a couple of minutes. I am at my wits end as to what to do and can't afford to keep paying for my duvet to be cleaned. I have tried the old wives tales of vinegar on the spots of urine before it is washed and natures miracle. I am at work all day but my boyfriend pops into see her everday at lunchtime so she is not on her own all day. She also manages to use the litter tray ok and I clean it regularly- it is an enclosed type with a catflap but not sure this would make a difference?
    I have a few questions so would really appreciate any help/advice/experience anyone can offer!
    1) Will she eventually grow out of it?
    2) Why is she doing it?
    3) Can I do anything at all to stop her apart from keeping her out of my bedroom?
    4) My friend suggested she may have a uti and take her to the vets, what are any other symptoms of uti's in cats should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

JILL :cool:

2. Beheaded

Beheaded PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means but in my limited experience;

1) Will she eventually grow out of it? - I had to break the habit with my cat as everything else I tried failed! As I said though I have limited experience and each cat is different so it is a possibility.

2) Why is she doing it? - There are many possible reasons such as attention seeking, marking territory, UTI, dislikes the cat litter being used, she might be stressed. It's a hard one to solve!

3) Can I do anything at all to stop her apart from keeping her out of my bedroom? - That would be the most effective way as she'll now think it's okay to go there whenever she's in the room.

4) My friend suggested she may have a uti and take her to the vets, what are any other symptoms of uti's in cats should I be looking for? - She may have an infection so it would definitely be worth a trip to the vets. Not sure of other symptoms...

3. rottiesloveragdolls

Hi Jill, some kittens show their not happy by peeing/pooing where they no their not suposed to :(
    I do feel maybe she is unhappy, they need attention and to leave her for long periods isnt good as she is making you aware of this, even the passing of your partner probably isnt long enough time spent with her!
    Maybe she does have an infection but does she do it in the litter tray when your about and not aloud in the room? has she got lots to occupy her mind toys posts ect, maybe leave a radio on for her so she dont feel so alone?
    If she is left for long periods maybe think of getting her a play mate

4. Jillth666

How did you break the habit with your cat?

Rottiesloveragdolls- she's has lots of toys but doesn't have scratching post- it's actually on my list to get for her when I get paid this week.

Would getting another kitten help do you think? Ifso is she the right age to introduce another probably younger kitten into her life now rather than waiting till she is 6months old for example?

I'm going to try changing the litter as well, that is a good suggestion.

Thanks so much for all your help so far I really appreciate it :)

5. rottiesloveragdolls

theres no reason why you couldnt introduce another kitten if thats the way you want to go but have you not gone back to the breeder and asked what litter they used maybe that would help rather than buying loads the cat litters she wont use? as i no some of my kittens when they have left the new owners tried different ones and the kitten wouldnt use them? and dont forget the radio leave that on for her, she will think someone is around with her?

6. Jillth666

That's a good idea, I will phone her mum's owner! :) And definitely do the radio trick too. No doubt I will keep you all posted.

Touchwood she has not wee'd anywhere other than my duvet *so far* and she uses her litter tray to wee and poop normally and used it last night.

If she is unhappy/lonely are there behavioural traits I should be looking out for in particular? Apart from the wee'ing on the duvet thing ;) ??

#6 Jillth666, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Beheaded

Beheaded PetForums Newbie

Well my cat was weeing near our front door but still going in his litter tray. Eventually after trying numerous things and getting no success I decided to re-enforce his litter training and confined him to one room. This seems to have worked as he hasn't gone near the door since. I think with my Thomas it was just a case of him getting into the habit of weeing there and he needed to 'forget' about it. Confinement semmed to do the trick although I admit this was a last resort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice