Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help, Issues with Stud’s Owners.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dean Hall, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Dean Hall

Dean Hall PetForums Newbie

Good afternoon,

We recently bred our Frenchie with an handshake agreement that the Stud’s family would receive Pick of the Litter in lieu of the stud fee and contribute $500 towards the whelping and c-section.

We only had 2 girls in the litter and have offered to pay the stud fee in lieu of a puppy as well as try again during the next mensuration cycle. They refused this offer.

We have requested payment of the $500 twice. The first time we received the response that they would have the money this month. They haven’t responded at all to my second request.

We want to do the right thing; however we are doing all of the work with respect to the puppies care. It feels disrespectful that they don’t even communicate.

Any advice?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.

I have never heard of a mating where the Owners of the stud contribute towards the care of the bitch or any treatment/procedure she may need during or at the end of her pregnancy.

Frenchies often have big litters, so look at it this way. Had you got ten puppies and given one to the stud Owner, would you really have expected them to contribute towards medical expenses?

As there was no written agreement, legally, you don't have to give them anything but, morally, you should.

Is this is a case where your bitch and the dog are K. C. Registered and you need them to sign the relevant form to confirm their dog is the sire?

adamantis, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Their in SD California
    So KC registration is not applicable

4. Dean Hall

Thank you.

5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

AKC registration then?

I would really hope that this isn’t one of those arrangements had with a bloke who lives round the corner who happens to have the breed you need.

simplysardonic likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You plan to breed your bitch back to back litters? So she's just a money maker to you?

It just never ends does it.

Burrowzig and simplysardonic like this.
  7. Dean Hall

We are not breeders; we are a family who wanted pups for ourselves.

We have never bred her and didn’t plan to do so again unless we were trying to appease the stud’s family in this case since they really wanted a pup.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, if the Owner of the stud dog really wants a pup, then they have to be prepared to wait. It really would be wrong to breed from your bitch on consecutive seasons, especially as she needed a C Section.

I would offer them a stud fee.

Burrowzig and simplysardonic like this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

If you bred the litter to keep a pup
    And the stud owner also wants a pup
    And your bitch had two pups
    ...what's the problem?

Sairy, adamantis, Burrowzig and 6 others like this.
  10. Dean Hall

Ugh….it was

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

As soon as you choose to get your dog pregnant you become a breeder.

And if you never bred her saying there were 2 girls in the litter confuses me

adamantis, Sarah H, Rafa and 2 others like this.
  12. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

You have two puppies. I would suggest that you find out what is an appropriate Frenchie stud fee, and offer it to them. I certainly wouldn’t let them have, or buy, a puppy; they don’t sound like suitable owners to me.

Forget them paying you. Normal procedure is you pay a stud fee and if pregnancy results then, as the bitch’s owner, you’re responsible for all the costs associated with whelping, raising and selling the puppies. You obviously choose to gamble whether from the whelping you get no live puppies, no live bitch, two puppies or ten puppies.

David C, Burrowzig, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice