Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help is needed please - food recommendations

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MickyBulldog, Jun 12, 2019.

1. MickyBulldog

MickyBulldog PetForums Newbie

Woof ! Hi dog lovers need abit of advice please , we are soon to be the proud owners of a french bulldog , we are going to be collecting her July , and it’s our first pet/dog in our family home , so of course we want to do everything right , starting with what food to give her , we’ve heard about AVA, or royal canine , cause they all say there “vet recommended “ which obviously some sort of advertising incentive for the vets who recommend the products , but if they are really as good as they say then brilliant but if not , has anyone got any ideas or recommendations
    Look forward to your replies

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

But obviously keep her on whatever the breeder is feeding her to start with, then make any changes very gradually.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yes, definitely this. Sorry, I should have said that, thanks for catching that Linda.

DaisyBluebell and Linda Weasel like this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Royal canin isnt a good food, but it's not terrible either. It's owned by mars and they throw lots of money at it, getting breeders to start pups on it with incentives. I feed kibble and the names that would come to my mind first as good kibbles would be Orijen, eden, purizon, millies wolfheart. Fish 4 dogs used to be a good one, but im not sure if it still is.

Mine are both on vet's kitchen and do well on that. It's a real minefield. At the end of the day, its what suits your dog and your pocket. One thing i will say, though, is that you can often tell if it suits by checking the poop that results. It should be firm and easy to pick up. Some foods cause itching in some dogs, something else to watch for.

I am not knowlegable about wet or raw feeding, but these might be things you want to consider and there are people on here that will know about it.

Avoid anything made by bakers. Hope all goes well!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

Luna has AVA large breeds puppy food which we top with a bit of Wainwrights wet food or chicken/fish. She enjoys it and is looking great on it. She visits the vets every month as part of her complete wellness plan and they say she is doing really well. The best food is whichever suits your dog and AVA is great for us. Pets at home often have promotions and discounts on it too.

7. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Meat and wholemeal mixer for my lot. They wouldn't thank you for dry food.

8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Emma was on Orijen to start as our old dog was, but I could not get it locally so tried several others & we have settle with James Wellbeloved Dry Kibble & I alternative with the different flavours for a bit of variety for her (not the Duck as too greasy for her & gave her runs).
    As others have said see what food your pup comes with from the breeder (a good breeder will usually give you some of the food they have been feeding to start with) then work out what you want to be doing with you pup for the rest of your lives together.
    Emma came having been fed raw & I did start with that but then we realised as we wanted to go on holidays regularly with her the raw was not convenient so changed to Oirjen until we were not able to get it again locally. Think ahead for your lives together for every aspect not just food, if starting with crate training then make sure you have a nice bed in the crate so that eventually should you start taking pup away with you, you will be able to leave the crate at home and just take the bed that pup uses from the inside of it etc etc....
    Check out the stickies above regarding the 'Puppy Support Thread', its long but reading it now will prepare you for things like Puppy Blues which will probably hit at least 1 member of your family at some time, & the sticky Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

If you are mainland uk, @MickyBulldog , any food you find on the all about dog food site will be easy to source online.
    None of the higher protein foods suited my TT as a pup, as he was incredibly itchy on all foods. It took a lot of trial and error to find he did better on single protein foods. We put him on natural dog food company food and his itching stopped entirely.

He was on that for years, and i was very happy with them as a company for delivery and price, all fine.

However, he also does well on vet's kitchen and prefers the taste. Hence, the change.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice