Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! is it blood or chew colouring in her wee

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claireandandy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

hey guys holllie is now 12 weeks old she had a treat yesterday it was a red lolly pop thing out of a xmas stocking, just come in and she has peed on the sofa wich she doesnt do and were shes ran to the front door theres specks of water /pee but they r red it defo come from her lady bits because i rubed her with a cloth and the colour went onto it,my first thaught was the red chew it was a cheap crumbly thing it went every ware and the warning on teh packet said may stain sofas ect, but im also in teh middle of a food change from wag puppy to pedigree puppy she has slept for the past day but shes been playing with the otehr dog loads so i dont know if thats out to go by,the pee wasnt red on teh sofa and her poos are going softer and not formed any more ,im hoping its the chew thats upsetter her tummy and the colouring coming out in her wee? any sugestions ?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I would have expected the chew to maybe taint her stools red and give her an upset stomach - but I wouldn't have thought it would affect the colour of her urine in anyway, and if she has peed on the sofa when she doesn't normally - this makes me think she has a UTI (peeing in places they don't normally is a symptom) and that the redness is infact blood - so I'd pop her down to the vets this evening.

One other thing though - Pedigree is an absolutely awful food, just as bad as the Wagg :( Would you consider changing to something better quality? This thread might help with choosing - http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/189896-dry-dog-food-index.html

In future I really would try and stay away from those brightly coloured chews, they’re no good for dogs at all. Fish skin chews make a nice, crunchy, healthy alternative :)

3. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

In my opinion I'd say it is probably likely to be the chew...but a call to your vet (or pop in with her) is certainly not going to hurt, just to be on the safe side.

I would just like to add though....I notice you are in the process of changing her to Pedigree Puppy, well to put it bluntly...its crap.
    There are some great stickys over on the health and nutrition section of the forum which are a fantastic guide to which commercial pet foods are the best.
    Its obviously your choice what you feed your puppy, but please take a look at the above info...it certainly opens your eyes (it did mine!).

There are lots of very helpful people on here (with more experience that me on the nutrition side of things) who will no doubt come along to advise you further anyway :)

Edit : See someone just did...SixStar replied while I was typing :)

#3 LisaZonda, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. claireandandy

oh i see,poor little pup has been choped and changed on her foods she was fed scraps and left overs when took away from the motehr b4 i got her then i put her on wag and have beem mixing her foods to ween her onto pedigree now this is pants too i feel like im messing the poor guy about :(

the chew was given to her by my son it was only when i read the packet i seen it was full of crap :( poor little hollie i wil ring the vets now thank u x

5. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Food colouring shouldn't colour her urine...it's hard to say it won't, without knowing what she had, but it shouldn't, and it wouldn't cause her to wee on the sofa, so I'd get her checked out just in case.

With regards to the food, she won't feel she is being messed about - she'll probably enjoy how much better a good food tastes though! If you give an idea of your budget, people on here are very good at suggesting high-quality foods.

I hope she is okay!

6. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Hey don't feel bad, you're doing your best by the little girl!

You obviously care enough to be here asking about things worrying you so that shows a lot!....combine that concern with some research and help on here (I've learnt so much!) and you will make a wonderful dog owner with a very happy pooch! :D

7. claireandandy

shes just had another wee and its clear her poos are soft and not what i would call formed and her poo has always been fine untill now i was blameing the chew for her poo untill she peed the red, then i was in 2 minds,also she seems to be ehr normal self playing with teh otehr dog and eating drinking ect,there wasnt loads of blood just specks like say u washed ur hands then flicked water onto the floor it was drops like that. do i monirot her or ring a vets right away,shes sleeping again now but shes just had her dinner so shes having a snooze she will wake up full of hell wanting to play in about half hour
    the chew was a hide stick with red crumbly stuff i belive u can get them from wilkinsons they r cheap things

I dont have a budget i just want whats best for her at what ever the cost recomendations to what u all use would be gr8 just on my way out will read the sticky soon as i get in xX

#7 claireandandy, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

For the price of a phone call, I think it's worth phoning the vets just for advice - they may well just tell you to monitor her and no need to bring her in, but I think it's best to check. Ensure she drinks plenty of water as this will help flush her system through and get all the colourings out of her body, and it'll help rehydrate her if she's having soft stools, and it'll help her UTI *if* she does have one.

Don't beat yourself up over her food - there is SO much choice available and it's so hard to know which one to choose for the best, but hopefully the Dry Food Index will at least help :) What you should be looking for is as high a meat content as possible, and little or no grains, as a ground rule – you say you don’t have a budget, so I’ll go ahead and suggest Orijen, but do read up on different foods and see what you think.

9. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

If the colourant was beetroot then that would turn her pee and poo red. Does thre same to humans too.

10. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I was jsut about to post the same thing and also if you have never experienced it as a human.... take a couple of antacids before eating beetroot . I really do wonder how i know such random stuff.

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Unfortunately those types of chews (the chopped/munchy rawhide shapes) tend to use artifical colourings rather than natural ones - but handy piece of info! ;)

12. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

When Prince had white stuff in his wee I took a sample up to the vet to be checked. It cost about £6 and just put my mind at rest, perhaps you could do that?

13. claireandandy

hi guys spoke 2 the vet we have 2 monitor her because her pee is clear now they say chances are she could have pulled somthing when playing rough with my mams dog but coz shes happy feeding and drinking im to ring them back 2 morrow with a update and they will gof rom there thanks u all.looking into foods now x

14. claireandandy

ok food wise im thinking burgess supadog puppy been looking at it online and its looking ok to me alot better than the wag and pedigree what do u think wise choice? going off the food sticky its not pants but not top of the range either so im in teh middle?

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

What needs to be remembered with the Index is that it only lists one food from each brand - and some brands vary immensely within their own product range. The Burgess food that I have listed on the Index is their Sensitive lamb & rice, which is rated as an orange, middle of the road food.

However - below is the ingredients list for Burgess Supadog puppy -

Chicken Meal (min 26%), Naked Oats, Wheat, Herring Meal, Maize, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Brewers Yeast, Dried Egg, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt

It contains both wheat AND maize, neither of which are good ingredients - they're completely indigestible for a dog and of no nutritional value at all - hence, I personally wouldn't recommend the Burgess Supadog puppy food.

Puppies do not need puppy food at all - adult food is just fine, so the Sensitive lamb & rice Burgess food that I have listed on the Index would be fine for a puppy.

But that said, the Burgess puppy is a head and shoulders above Wagg and Pedigree, so it’s that’s what you have chosen, then it’s a huge leap up from your current feed. :)

See, I told you this food lark was confusing!

16. claireandandy

Holy smoke im thinking again aghhhh nooo lol. how complicated it picking a decent dog food,saying that u know quality ur self when u eat a cheap tin of beand compared to heinz lol they are all filled with crap rnt they lol thanks for the advice xxx

17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Holy smoke im thinking again aghhhh nooo lol. how complicated it picking a decent dog food,saying that u know quality ur self when u eat a cheap tin of beand compared to heinz lol they are all filled with crap rnt they lol thanks for the advice xxx

I've used Arden Grange puppy/junior for my last two pups plus the rescue puppy I've just got. I mix it with a bit of Naturediet Puppy to make it more palatable.

Hope this helps.

18. claireandandy

hey all just a update on hollie,shes 100% fine today like yesterday pees have been clear vet said any sign of it again take her straight in but because it was only a little few specks and more watery he wasnt worried as it could have just been from a strain from playing with the other dog,or the colouring ,he said the chew was more likley to upsetter her tummy and make her pee red like we pee red after lots of red veg,massive weight off my mind and thank all of you for the advice and reasurance,im sure i will have more worries than this and its nice to know i can ask people in her for advice thanks ever so much x

19. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'm glad Hollie seems fine again today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice