Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!Is he dying?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mdosi, Jul 23, 2019.

1. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

We've been taking care of a stray cat for over 3 years.He is a free spirit and thus we would never be able to keep him inside the house.Over the last 2-3 months,he's shown signs of infection.He is experiencing nasal discharge(green mucus around his nose) and sometimes sneezes.Because he doesn't come often,he's hard to catch and take to the vet but lately something has changed.He has lost so much weight,at least 3 pounds,he's not really eating or drinking much water and 2 days ago he seemed kind of dehydrated as well.Since the situation he's in seems severe,we decided to try our best and take him to the vet this week but he hasnt come to our house since this Sunday.He doesn't come every day but lately he's been spending a lot of time here and on Sunday,he even slept here,something he rarely does.Today I looked around for him but couldn't find him at all.

Did he...go somewhere so that he can...pass away?I really want to help him as he's a great cat and I love him very much.I regret not taking him to the vet earlier but since I don't own a car and am a student,it was rather difficult to pull off.I just want to know if he could actually die because of something like that,if any of you knows how severe the situation is and if it's possible that he's okay and just taking some time away from us.

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi there. How sad. Are you in the UK?
    How do you know for sure that he is a stray? He should have been checked for a microchip. Could you not have taken him to the vet on the bus like many people do? It’s kinder to involve the Cats Protection or another feline charity, if you think you have a stray cat coming around. They have traps that do not harm the cats, then they take them to a vet, get a health check done and check for a microchip. Someone may be missing him and vice versa, if lost. He may even have a home. If he definitely is a stray, they would find out if he would be suited to a permanent home, which they would find for him, even on a farm kept in a barn, if he seemed semi-feral. They would ensure he gets regular health checks and medical treatment as and when needed, as well as the other home comforts that cats need on a day to day basis.

I’m wondering if someone else has taken him to the vet or called an animal charity like the C P and so maybe he is in care at the moment. Let’s hope so.

If he does return, please, if you can’t take him to the vet, contact an animal charity and let them; give him the chance he deserves.

#2 TriTri, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    moomoowawa and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice