Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help introducing new cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Bmo.medicat, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Bmo.medicat

Bmo.medicat PetForums Newbie

I have had a kitten (Lexi) for about 2 months and she is 4 months old now, she is very loving and very close to me and I recently adopted a kitten off of a friend (Truffle) who is 6 months old.
    They get on well now after only 2 days, there was some hissing and growling to start with but after some scent swopping and alot of patience they were fine with each other, now they even play together and seem very happy, Truffle is also very loving
    The only thing is, Lexi now seems very distant from me? She no longer sleeps with me at night, she doesn't sit on the side of the bath tub and keep me company, she doesn't cuddle me or even want to accept any affection from me and she hisses and growls if I try to pick her up.
    I understand maybe she's stressed that I've brought Truffle into the house or maybe she thinks I've replaced her? But they play very happily together and don't fight so I just don't know?

Can anybody please give me any advice on what to do or even why after we bonded so closely she suddenly wants nothing to do with me?
    It's very heart breaking and I just want my lexi to be herself again.

Please help

2. Drummer

Drummer PetForums Newbie

I'm going to try to be tactful, female cats are, to be blunt picky! They don't need another cat companion normally, Boys love everyone, girls like one friend. As a kitten she's prob just having fun as a kitten herself. But hissing at you is out of order. try catnip toys

Bmo.medicat likes this.
  3. Drummer

Drummer PetForums Newbie

Can ŷou send me a PM?

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Lexi will be herself again. You've just turned her world upside down by bringing in another cat. She is getting used to the new cat, and used to the changes that will bring in her life. Don't do anything different. Let them get used to each other, continue to interact with them as always.

Don't worry about any hissing or growling it is normal cat communication. She is telling you to leave her alone and not pick her up right now, she is busy getting to know Truffles. So stop doing it. This will show her that you are paying attention and you can be trusted to listen to her.

2 days is nothing. Just let them settle in together. Eventually you will all be once big happy family, but don't try to rush it.

Are they both spayed already?

chillminx and ameliajane like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good advice from lorilu. Your kitten has to adjust to a major change in her environment i.e. a new kitten coming into her territory. She needs to be given a chance to get the measure of Truffle at her own pace and in her own time. She is concentrating all her attention on this task. Do not rush her. Let her decide when she is ready to resume her close relationship with you, at some point in the future.

Hissing is an early warning that she does not want you to touch her. The next stage is growling, and basically she growls at you because you ignored her when she hissed and you went ahead and tried to pick her up. Her reaction is understandable. Please note what she is trying to tell you, and do not ever punish her for hissing or growling at you. (as I am sure you wouldn't anyway :))

I would let both kittens get on with building their own relationship for the moment and be prepared to accept whatever attention they have to spare for you right now. Things will be different once they have got used to each other. I promise. :)

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Impossible to make a generalisation like this.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice