Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Inherited Praying Mantises!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Bemisan, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Bemisan

Bemisan PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I'm fresh and new to the world of owning insects, but growing up I loved them. (Well, some of them.) I inherited this from my uncle who always brought cocoons to our house to watch them hatch into butterflies and moths, or tadpoles turn into frogs.
    Well, unfortunately he passed away on Sunday (a shock to us all) and when we went to clear his apartment, we found he had two praying mantises.
    I immediately said I would take them and take care of them.
    One is an adult with its wings, the other a nymph. I don't know their ages exactly but he bought them as L4-L5 in October (we found the receipt!).
    Now onto what I need the help with.
    The younger one. On its abdomen, I think a segment or two have split... I've read this can be from overfeeding but my uncle died on Sunday and I took them home Thursday! So I don't think that could be it. It's not a paticularly chubby abdomen either. It's been walking around plenty and I handled it earlier and it seems okay crawling around my hand. But it concerns me that sometimes black goo seems to ooze out and then sort of... suck back in? When it hangs upside down too, it's abdomen hangs down at a 90° angle.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Bemisan

Attached Files:

2. Isotonic

Isotonic PetForums Junior

I wouldn't worry too much if i were you, that looks like a giant Asian mantis and having previous experience with that species i had the exact same thing happen with mine but was not sure what it was but mine turned out just fine.

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I recall seeing your post on a particular Facebook group. Personally, i'd stick to seeking advice on that page as it's far more active than this section on this forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice