Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help import from USA to U.K.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Andreaandriggs, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Andreaandriggs

Andreaandriggs PetForums Newbie

would like some advice on the costs of importing from the USA, how much is the flight I'm aware digs travel as cargo, what customs do you pay and do you have to pay VAT if the dog puppy is a gift

What savings do you make if you go to France ?
    Any advice appreciated

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Three questions

Why are you importing a dog ?
    What breed is it ?
    Can't you get one from breeder here?

It would be cheaper going to France as you can just drive from there, once you get a Pet Passport sorted out.

lorilu likes this.
  3. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

No offense HP, but how are the answers to your 3 questions relevant to the OPs question. That is entirely the OPs business. As an example from personal experience my answers would be: 1) because I don't want to get a puppy from here; 2) a breed that I chose for myself; 3) I can but I choose not to. Totally irelevant and none of anyone's business.

As to @Andreaandriggs , the best source of info would be contacting Heathrow airport (assuming that's where the dog would fly into). When I was looking for information of flying a dog from Europe there were additional handling fees at the airport + cost for him getting a space in a kennel from where you're supposed to pick them up. If you contact the company he'd be traveling with, they should be able to give you all information on VAT and stuff.
    I assume you're asking about flying to France from USA and then traveling from there to U.K.? I want to say it would work out cheaper, but am not 100% sure. It depends on the size of dog and how you'd be traveling to U.K. I know that flying to Europe is somewhat easier and I think they don't have to be traveling as cargo so the price is only about half of the trip to U.K. As you can't take a train with a dog to UK, you'd need to drive so there's petrol, hotels, tunnel or ferry etc. It's quite a lot that depends on your personal circumstances and something you have to research and calculate yourself.
    Personally, unless you're trying to import a dog that you already is own or are looking to import some exceptional puppy from unique lines that are not found in Europe, then I'd be looking closer.

WillowT, BlueJay, Katalyst and 2 others like this.
  4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yes, I can't remember all the details off the top of my head but when I enquired about it all at Heathrow they do charge you in excess of something like £500 handling fees and that's without your import costs etc. Some pet travel companies are cheaper than others, and it also depends what airport you fly the dog to as I've heard others can be cheaper. I heard good things about the company Ladyhaye when I was making my enquiries so they might be worth dropping an email/phone call to - http://www.petravelagent.com/index.html

5. Andreaandriggs

Andreaandriggs PetForums Newbie

Thank you I am looking at a certain line that I can only get from America, i aware the cost is high so looking at best route price wise but also best for the pup

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I believe it's not possible for pups to fly till 4 months, when they've had all the necessary vaccs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ?

7. shadowmare

You could also look at flying to Amsterdam? Getting a ferry from hook of holland to harwich might be easier than flying to Paris and travelling from there? Of course, it also depends on where in UK you are traveling to!

8. shadowmare

That is correct.

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I just thought that maybe, we would be able to help without all the hassel of importing from abroad, that was all, no offence was intented.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice