Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help identifying the quick - photos included

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GenAsh123, Jan 28, 2019.

1. GenAsh123

GenAsh123 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Part of my dog's nail has chipped off and I want to trim it back to avoid further damage, but I don't want to accidentally hit the quick. He's got black claws (joy!) which makes it hard to know how far I can go, but he's very good about it, and so far we haven't had any accidents in 2-3 years!

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: this toe is a bit deformed and never touches the ground, which is why the claw is so long. It's quite hard to clip properly, so I'm hoping this is a good opportunity to get rid of some of the length!

Attached Files:

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You should be safe nipping off the grey-looking section, then you can file back a bit further. You can get a better idea of where the quick is by looking at the underside of the nail; also, if the dog has any nails that aren't black, you can visually establish an average length of quick. It should be pretty much the same in the black nails.
    I'm not a groomer, just do my own dogs' feet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice