Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help identifying a crossbreed colourpoint

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by JenzyFrenzy, Dec 4, 2019.

1. JenzyFrenzy

JenzyFrenzy PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

My two cats are Ragdoll/Persian cross (mother is 3/4 Ragdoll and 1/4 Persian, father is full Ragdoll, not sure what colour). Molly is all black, like her mother, and Sapphire has the colouring of a Ragdoll.

I would like some help identifying Sapphire's colouring, if crossbreeds can be 'coloured'? (that's another thing I wanted to ask - can crossbreeds be considered colourpoints?)

We've always said she was a chocolate point, but I am not 100% sure if she's Chocolate or Seal. I've included a photo where you can see as much of her coat as possible - it's a little irregular right now as she was spayed a couple of months ago. I've also included photos of her paw pads - there are a few as it's very difficult to get a photo of those; I tried to take some while she was playing!

I'd also like to try and identify her half-brother, who is owned by my parents. I'll get some photos sometime.

Many thanks!

Jenny.

Attached Files:

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

She's a seal point

Maurey likes this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Yes, seal.

Maurey likes this.
  4. JenzyFrenzy

JenzyFrenzy PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much both! I guess I wasn't sure as she's pretty light around her shoulders and tummy, but her lower back is pretty dark. She was also a lighter brown when she was a kitten/young cat, and has only recently started getting darker (she's 3).

I did think her paws looked a sort of 'rosy brown', which I thought Chocolate points had?

Did you identify her points by her coat and paws? Some better photos of her colourings below (any excuse to take photos of them!)

Attached Files:

5. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Her paws aren't light enough to be chocolate, she is seal

Maurey likes this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

All cats have a colour and pattern, regardless if purebred or moggy.
    Though people shouldn't be purposely breeding (or buying) cross breeds, supporting bybs.

Your girl is definitely a seal point, far too dark for chocolate.

Rufus15 and Maurey like this.
  7. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

Pretty much this -- chocolate points are much lighter and tend to be warmer in tone than seal points, and the difference is typically fairly obvious! Seal is classified as near-black dark brown, while chocolate is, well, a chocolate brown tone. The difference in the bases and warmness of their tones is easier seen in their dilutes -- blue for seal, and lilac for chocolate. You can really see how much warmer, and redder, the underlying hue of chocolate cats is!

Below are a few photos that may help -- first seal vs chocolate, then blue vs lilac​

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here you can most easily tell by the colour of the ears and the softer spread of colour on the points, especially around the eyes and paws on the chocolate raggie. The tail CAN be a big giveaway, as well, but I've definitely seen seal points with lighter tails, though not nearly as commonly. Additionally to the softer colouration of the chocolate, you can see how much warmer the undertone of her points are, though, admittedly, the lighting does contribute to the effect here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here, the vividness and strength of the tone is more or less the same, but these dilutes allow to really easily visualise the difference in the tones and warmth of the point colours, compared to the non-diluted cats.​

Hope this helped a bit!

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Are they your photos @Maurey or someone else's copyright photos?

OrientalSlave likes this.
  9. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

From what I’ve found, they’re free for non-commercial use. Far as I can tell, the breeder and/or their website is defunct — the only place these photos show up through TinEye is here, which only says that the cattery used to be owned by Kim Patterson. If you google their name and the cattery, it doesn’t come up, so I’m guessing it no longer exists, which also may mean the actual photographer is effectively unknown, as professional photography is commonly outsourced.

If it’s an issue, I can remove the photos.

10. OrientalSlave

That website does what it should - credit the photographers. You should have copied that credit on. Here it is:

Credits: Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this page and giving us permission to use their photographs as examples: Ken Staples (Kassledolls), Sue Villareal (Lonerock Catasrophe), Cathy Bridges (Dixieland Ragdolls), Lisa Ames (Dolls N' Dudes), Jean Ransdell (Ragdolls by Ransdell), Kim Patterson (Georgia Ragdolls), with a special thank you to Kim for all her work in collecting photos and making it possible to get the colors and patterns correct.

spotty cats likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

I missed a little bit:

Please note: All professional or non-professional photos featured are copyright to their respective owners and or photographers.

And the copyright on the website:

Copyright © 2002 - 2019

spotty cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice