Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help I :/

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by greyhounder, Mar 29, 2011.

1. greyhounder

greyhounder PetForums Junior

Hello just come in to say I NEED HELP!:confused:

The problem is , my cat has a HUGE tat on his back leg. It covers his whole leg and I am Begiuning to get worried. It all started about six mounths back when he came in one night reeking of Disinfectant. I don't know if he sat in some or what but he STANK of it. After a while it started to dry up and formed these big tats on his legs. There all gone now except for this HUGE one covering nearly all his Back leg.

I don't want to go to the vet because it will cost to much.
    We tryed to cut it of but everytime you touch it he goes all mardy:rolleyes::. It needs to be rid of soon its been there for ages. He is also a EXTREAMLY long haired cat Which makes it all worse.

Any ideas on how to tackle this ?? I mean it covers nearly all his back leg:confused:.

Advice! Please!!:rolleyes:

2. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Not what you will want to hear, but you need to take your cat to the vet, irrespective of the cost.

3. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

catnip and get it out.

Saying that i would just take to the vet without worring about cost because it can't be comfortable for him.

If you have Pet Practise close by to you there are extremely cheap as vets go.

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Is a tat like a knot? if it is I would just wrap him in a towel and (as long as it isnt too close to the skin) carefully cut it off. Did you try bathing him when he came home smelling chemically? if not he will have licked off whatever it was which could be dangerous.

5. greyhounder

Well we are trying everytime he sits on one of our knees we jiggle it so it becomes looser. Why So urgent Could it be harmfull?:confused:

6. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

Could you please explain what a tat is? Maybe post a picture? Thanks.

7. greyhounder

Well it was about six months ago so it obviously hasn't harmed him.
    Thats the thing though, it really close it his skin. And if I cam at him with towel he would kill me!!

8. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I think if it has been there for so long it can cause problems on the skin, but someone may correct me on this. If you are not able to cut it out, it will have to be a vet jobby I'm afraid. Can two of you not work together? One to make sure the cat is still and one to remove it? Although DO be careful if it is close to the skin.

Raggs advised recently if the knot is close to the skin, slip a comb between the knot and the skin, and then cut, that way you will not cut the skin.

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think he really needs the vets then, they might have to sedate him to get it off with a blade. If it isnt removed it can get tighter which pulls the skin and can cause injury, if there is any infection beneath it you wont be able to see it and it could be quite dangerous. Have you contacted a groomer, maybe they could help too?

10. greyhounder

Yeh its a knot basically but i will post up a picture

11. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I don't believe I used the word 'urgent' in my post :confused:

But, you said he has had this problem for about six months; it clearly not getting any better on its own; you said you cannot deal with it as he gets all 'mardy', hence my advice to take him to the vet.

I believe it could be very uncomfortable for your cat, so surely it's better for him to get it sorted.

12. greyhounder

Will try this, because it needs to come out sooner or later thanks.

13. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Please be careful, if you think there is any risk of hurting kitty, please take him to the vet.

14. greyhounder

I don't know We will see how it goes with the two of us.

15. greyhounder

Well it comes further away the more you jiggle it.

16. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Wouldn't that be assuming if the cat was docile enough? Many aren't. The cat in question has a very large 'tat', covering the back leg as per the OP's post. I hope Raggs was advising on a small knot, not one the entire size of a back leg :eek:

17. greyhounder

Will try and get a picture So you can see exactly what it is like.
    This may be difficult though..:confused:

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I sincerely hope you don't injure your cat as you could end up with an even bigger vet bill. As another member suggested, you could take him to a groomer, this may be more affordable to you than a vet? Perhaps you could check prices for both services.

19. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Yes you are entirely right Dougal. Just wanted to suggest something in case the OP is attempting to cut it out themselves. This at least would lower the risk, but I agree that in some cases (and possibly this one) a trip to the vet may be unavoidable!

20. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Take Him To The Vets, It wont cost You much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice