Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! I want fish but I know nothing!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by xLucyx, Oct 27, 2018.

1. xLucyx

xLucyx PetForums Newbie

Recently I have been thinking about getting some pet fish. I know little to nothing and was hoping I could find some help from the experienced fish owners on here! Any and all advise is welcome and greatly appreciated!!

Sidenote: I might be getting given a 16 litre fish tank and was wondering how many fish could I put in there while keeping all fish comfortable and healthy?

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hi!

The most important thing with setting up a new tank is to cycle it first, which involves developing a population of good bacteria in the filter to deal with the fish waste. If a tank is not cycled first then the fish will end up swimming in their own waste until the bacteria establishes itself, which is very harmful to them. You will need a source of ammonia (you can buy it in a bottle) and a liquid test kit like the API master kit. Info here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm
    Have a read through and let us know if you have any questions :)

A 16 litre tank is very small and doesn't really give you many options unfortunately. It would possibly be ok for a single male betta or maybe some shrimp, but I can't think of any shoaling fish that would be suitable. If you wanted a small community you would really need something of around 60 litres as a minimum. It might be a good idea to pop to your local aquatics shop and have a look to see what fish appeal to you, write the names down and then do some research on their requirements (or come back here and ask!).

Do you know whether the water in your area is hard or soft? Most fish that you will find in shops will be pretty adaptable, but you can have more success with fish that prefer the water that you have.

NaomiM likes this.
  3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

With a 16 litre tank the only thing you could really get is a betta or if you planted it and left it running a while you could get some cherry shrimp.

Have a look on youTube at a few of the videos on setting up a fish tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice