Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help I think my rabbit is pregnant!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SophieBunny, Apr 7, 2021.

1. SophieBunny

SophieBunny PetForums Newbie

Hi there everyone I’m new here and I have a few questions. I just wanna say that I’m not a rabbit breeder and have no desire to become one (no hate to anyone who is a breeder).

So I adopted two male rabbits a month ago and have been housing them together, they get along and have settled in well, also they are siblings. I did see one of my rabbits mounting the other one a lot and falling over and making a grunting sound. After some Googling I found out that this is a sign of a successful mate. I immediately took my rabbits to the vet and found out one of them is female, the other is male and my vet is pretty sure the female is pregnant. She did feel her belly and couldn’t feel any babies but she said I have to wait 35 days to see if she gives birth. I currently have my rabbits separated and the male is getting neutered on Friday. So my questions are do you think she will definitely be pregnant? I have noticed her eating more pellets and sleeping more. I remember seeing about 6 fall offs as well. Another question is how do I care for these babies if and when they are born? Thanks to anyone who has read this and replies :)

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Firstly, where did you adopt your rabbits from? A rescue should have correctly sexed both. There is every chance that your female is pregnant, but you have done everything correctly by separating and booking the male in for neutering. Your female now needs to be kept on pregnancy watch. Sibling mating is not good due to the genetic similarity of both rabbits.

SophieBunny and bunnygeek like this.
  3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

You will also need to book your female in for a spey after her potential litter are weaned.

#3 Tiggers, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    SophieBunny likes this.
  4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Please keep us informed as to how your doe progresses.

SophieBunny likes this.
  5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How soon after bringing them home did you notice the mounting? How old are they? They cant be that old if the rescue didnt have them neutered.

Im guessing your vet isnt prepared to do an emergency spay?

SophieBunny likes this.
  6. SophieBunny

i adopted them from a rabbit rescue centre near me.

7. SophieBunny

I have only seen them mounting in the last week, they are 4 months old and my vet does not do emergency spays.

8. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Have you contacted the rescue to inform them that your rabbits had been mis-sexed?

SophieBunny likes this.
  9. SophieBunny

Yes I have, they were very apologetic and said if I wanted they would take her babies when they are old enough and find them good homes. I’m not sure yet if I will take them up on this offer though.

Tiggers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice