Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! I struggle to control my dog when approaching other dogs/people on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jashby, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jashby

Jashby PetForums Newbie

Please offer help if you can

I own a border collie, about 5 years old. She was trained by a farmer I bought her off as a sheep dog but she wasn't interested in sheep 0.o but I live in a rural area where I walk my dog (Megg) around the fields and paths etc. nearly everywhere I have her off the lead as she is very well behaved and there is no risk to her.

But my BIGGEST issue is that when I approach another dog walker she gets really excited and rushes to the other people. All she does is runs up to them to see them then runs back. All 100% friendly on her behalf. But I can't always know about the other persons dog which is why I'm asking here. I have a certain amount of control (with hard work) until we're about 10m away and she then runs off to see them.

Has anyone else had this issue with train or can reccomend methods to discourage this?

Please note: I can't use the 'Avoidance technique' as no where to avoid them
    Or to put her on a lead as they appear without notice from trees/other paths

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Keep her on the lead or a long line until you have a solid recall with her...

3. Jashby

Jashby PetForums Newbie

Her recall is mint until there is a 3rd party involved, ill try the long line, guess that would mean she can't ignore me, didn't think of that :D

4. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Her recall will need to at all times to be considered "mint".. If she can't recall when she's distracted she hasn't a "mint" recall :D

Use a long line, and treats, I think there is a great thread on recall training some where ;) I'm sure it's a sticky?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice