UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a cat who is 9 months old. i got him neutered when he was 6 months old. he has been urinating in different rooms of the house ie carpets, rugs and laminate flooring. he still continues to use his litter tray which is an enclosed litter tray and is in a quiet part of the house and accessible at all times. when we catch him urinating outside of his litter box he refuses to go back into that room and cowers away. what would you recommend we do to stop this, we love him very much and would hate to get rid of him.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
What litter are you using? Have you tried Feliway which will help if he is stressed. Sounds to me that he is very stressed because of the cowering. I would suggest changing the litter and lots of praise when he does use the litter tray.

You also need to neutralise where he has peed so that he wont use that area again. Dilute some bicarbonate of soda to clean the area.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Going outside the box is often health related, he needs to be vet checke for a UTI.

How often is his box cleaned? Some cats also don't like a covered box.

As said you need to properly clean the places he's gone, biological washing powder mixed with water is an effective an inexpensive remedy - and works just as well as purpose made pet sprays.

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,474 Posts
Agree with spotty cats could well be a urine infection I would advise before doing anything else that you have him checked out by your vet.Cats are naturally clean animals so this behaviour is most likely stress or health related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we've never seen blood but he does seem fearful after doin what he's doin, its like he knows he's done somethin wrong. do you think he's trying to draw our attention to a possible infection by peeing everywhere or do you think he doesn't know what he's doing and can't help it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I do sympathise. Our male (rescue) cat was neutered, but continued to 'scent-spray' all his life. It seemd to remain important to him to mark his territory, even though what he squirted out didn't have any particular smell. We never solved the problem, sadly he is no longer in the world. Sorry if it seems irrelevant to your particular case. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awww shame. even though you couldn't smell it im sure he could. I just want it to stop it's making me think where has he peed that we don't know about!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.