Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! I need info about my cat's nipples!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jade2023, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Jade2023

Jade2023 PetForums Newbie

My female cat, Samson, is just over a year old and went into heat for the first time last early last month but is showing no signs of pregnancy, and also not going back into heat.
    What is troubling is that her nipples,4 or 5 of them are swollen enough that the extra fat under her belly hangs (like a nursing cat does) and are firm, some a dark pink and around two of them are a purple-ish colour.

She hasn't been cut around or on them then just began to swell around 2 or 3 weeks after she had been mated with. Samson is half-feral and only recently became affectionate with me so any chances of picking her up are nil.

I've gently squeezed one of the swollen nipples today while she was eating and she's shown no sign of discomfort, I applied a bit more pressure and she still showed no sign of it hurting. Google says it could be cancer or mastitis. Has anyone ever experienced this with their cat?

Additional notes:
    • I'm a uni student so money is an issue for me.
    • The RSPCA in my country is super expensive, almost or the same price as a private vet and it does not do pick-ups for whatever reason so that is out of the question.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Has she been out at all?

Should point out that you should budget for neutering when you get a cat, and both males & females should be neutered by 6 months at the latest.

3. Jade2023

She's an outdoor cat.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Then she's probably pregnant. Why do you say she isn't?

5. Jade2023

There's no change in body beyond the nipples, I can't say her appetite has increased because she's always been a heavy eater - pokes her head in the dog bowl whenever she fancies. I would understand if she rounded out in the middle to show she's pregnant but she hasn't.

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Her nipples/the surrounding area should not look purple.

Separately, as she is pretty much feral, you will have no idea whether she has given birth and when. Expressing milk from a lactating cat is not always easy so the fact you say you think she has no milk is not reliable.

If her nipples are enlarged, her underneath looks fuller and more saggy than usual and her appetite is large, she could well be feeding kittens

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi, can you clarify a few things?
    You say she had been mated with? Did you see this?

She won't tolerate you picking her up but she was okay with you squeezing her nipples? That seems odd to me.

Anyway, the odds are your cat is pregnant. An intact female who's an outdoor cat is very likely pregnant or has had kittens somewhere.

Neutering is far less expensive than caring for a litter of kittens....

8. Jade2023

Half-feral - I can't cuddle her as I did with my house cat when I was a kid but she comes when called and can be petted, never strays far from the property.
    She went into heat for the first time early last month, pretty sure that's way too early for gestation and then birth...

9. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

You haven't been able to trap her and get her spayed obviously...I dont really understand..she is friendly enough for a bit of hands on but you couldn't get her in basket to go to the vet for neutering?

10. Jade2023

Not to sound snappy but was the entire situation was RSPCA skimmed? I don't have a vehicle, nor a pet cage and the RSPCA does not do pickups like they do in the states.
    Me managing to touch her is fairly new like 2020 new.

11. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Is this a cat you actively acquired or is it a stray that you has "adopted" you?

She sounds pregnant to me!

12. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

May not have been her first heat given her age.
    Cats can appear to be in heat and even mate while pregnant, it's entirely possible she has already given birth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice