Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help, I’m worried about my cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Amyb1995, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Amyb1995

Amyb1995 PetForums Newbie

Basically, I went on holiday for a week and my friends were catsitting for me...my cat Gigi is a diva and I’ve had her since she was a kitten...I’m a bit unsure of her age but think she is either 11 or 12 years old. Anyways, they phoned me on the Saturday telling me that she had a weird sort of limp and it had happened overnight. She’d been fine with her eating and her overall behaviour hadn’t really changed. They monitored her until I was back yesterday and said there had been improvement as she’d gotten up the stairs. I decided I’d keep an eye on her as soon as I got home because she is a mummy’s girl and is very attached to me. Her leg is weird, it’s kind of like she’s dragging it a bit and cannot put pressure on it and it’s just the one back leg. When I touch the leg she doesn’t miaow or hiss at me to instigate she’s in any pain. There’s no lump or swelling or cut and I don’t think it’s her nails that are causing a problem. So first off I think it’s a sprain, maybe she’s tried to jump onto something and fallen and sprained her leg? The leg doesn’t seem paralysed just like she doesn’t want to use it. She still can jump onto the couch and the bed and get up the stairs. She’s just adapted to it with her leg. She’s not acting any different than usual. Very loving with me still, won’t leave my side. Loves to sit with me and on my lap and loves a cuddle. Doesn’t seem to want to be on her own. But then today she’s not eating as much which has worried me further as my friends had told me she was eating fine even when this problem occurred with her leg. She seems to turn her nose up at her food. And she did manage to have a bit of chicken today and she drank tons of water. But when I put her wet food down she walked over to her bowl, smelt it and walked off again so I’m a bit confused. When I googled it it said if they’ve sprained something they’ll be put off their food so maybe it’s to do with that?plus the weather is really hot at moment and I know that can add to it. Also just to add on she’s been in the cat litter box and done a bit of runny poop (I know lovely just thought I’d mention it ???) just at least want her to be eating properly again. My friends described it as like her leg had gone to sleep just for reference... anyways thanks for reading and if anyone can help in anyway with some advice/tips and maybe put my mind at ease.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Probably not the answer you want but your cat needs to see a vet ASAP.
    No one but a vet can "put your mind at rest" if indeed they can , please do not leave this any longer.

3. Amyb1995

I know this and thanks for your honesty. I just get very worried with vets. I not very long ago lost my other cat and I’m so anxious about losing this one too. Not to mention that it costs so much money :( especially if it’s something I could maybe help her with.

4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Amyb1995, Polly G and saartje like this.
  5. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

I would say take her to the vets I know your worried but it’s best place to get her checked.

6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Unfortunately cats are good at hiding pain, so by the time you see a relatively minor looking symptom like this, it could well be something serious.

If she was eating, drinking and toileting normally, it might be ok to watch for a day or two to see if she improved, but as she's not it's best to see a vet, and sooner rather than later. She's clearly feeling unwell on top of whatever has happened to her leg, which to me implies a possible infection.

Please let us know what the vet says!

Amyb1995, Polly G, chillminx and 3 others like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You are not alone believe me , we are all worried that seeking professional opinions might give us an answer we don't want to hear.
    The problem with that is often something that starts off as minor could become serious without prompt treatment and that also means the cost of treatment escalates too .
    I take it you don't have any pet insurance in place so maybe for future bills you could start a savings fund for vet treatment by putting as much as possible away every month to help with vet bills when needed or have a credit card that is used simply for vet bills .
    Please keep us updated with her progress.

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

You really must get your cat to the Vet! What could be a simple fix may not be if left. I don’t like the sound of your cat not eating it shows she is in pain. Something isn’t right. Please update us. Hope all ok.

9. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Please take her to the vet as soon as possible. Whether it is something minor or more serious, it sounds as if she needs treatment in order to feel more comfortable. Please let us know what the vet says.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, @Amyb1995 - Gigi needs to be seen by the vet without further delay, i.e. today. Your cat sitter should have, IMO, taken her to the vet when she first developed the bad leg. It is what I would expect of any cat sitter I used to look after my cats.

Please get Gigi seen today, she is very likely to be in pain. The fact she has now lost her appetite is very worrying.

if she is an outdoor cat there is the possibility she has been bitten in the leg by another cat and has developed an abscess, which if so will need treating with antibiotics.

Amyb1995, Polly G, Ottery and 2 others like this.
  11. Amyb1995

Hello everyone! Thankyou so much for all your concern and I really did take into account everything you guys said. I have an update after a very stressful day!! I took her to the vets and they examined her and her heartbeat was fine and temperature was normal which was all good things. He began to feel around her leg which I had done myself with no luck! And then he felt a lot upper on the leg near the pelvis and she welped in pain. I would never have thought it would be anything to do with damage to the pelvic area but apparently that causes lameness in the leg. Due to the trauma he seems to think she’s suffered impact from a car...I didn’t think so as she’s not really much of an outdoor cat but maybe it could be as we do live near a main road. She’s had a anti inflammatory injection and he’s given us medication to give her to help with the pain too. So it was a positive trip.
    When we got home I let her out of the cat basket and she started acting weird...she was walking around fast with both her hind legs on the floor and she started panting too. So of course I was panicking and rang the vet as quick as possible. They told me to bring her back in. I was crying so much with worry especially after such a good vet visit prior. They decided it best to leave her with them when we got there so they could examine her properly. She was panting due to the stress (probably of the car ride and the pain and everything rolled into one). Thankfully that had stopped and she’s back to normal in that way. They x rayed her and saw a little bit of internal bruising but nothing bad. They seem to think it’s all to do with the impact of the fall or whatever trauma was caused.
    To cut a long story short (kinda cause I’ve been rambling a lot haha) she’s recovering. And on a really big plus side she’s eating again!! So that injection must be working. She’s ate two pouches of wet food and not even been forced. The pelvic trauma has caused lameness to her leg so all she can really do is rest. Just hard work getting her to just rest and not be trying to jump on couches and windowsill etc. I feel like I might have to make her a little area with bed/litter tray/water/food. But she’ll always want to sleep with me at end of day.
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

chillminx, Ottery, Soozi and 2 others like this.
  12. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Ouch, poor cat, it's quite possible that she spent more time outside while you were away than she does usually. I am surprised the vet didn't mention the idea.of cage rest, a cat with this sort of injury should be resting in a crate until the leg heals,.complete with litter tray and food and water in there. If she tries to jump, she could cause more damage.

chillminx, Soozi, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  13. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Oh gosh Amy, what a stressful day for you and puss! So good to hear she's eating now, and in less pain. Hope she recovers soon xxx

TriTri and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  14. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I'm so pleased you took her to the vet and that it doesn't seem to be too serious, hopefully she will be a lot more comfortable now. Not sure where you live but I imagine that the heat could have added to her stress-reaction yesterday.

I have had to cage-rest a couple of cats but they had broken bones, I've not had it suggested with less serious injuries. I would keep her indoors though. If she goes out she could be chased by a cat/dog and exacerbate the injury by having to get away quickly. If you have a room (like a spare bedroom) where she has relatively limited jumping opportunities you could restrict her to that room when you are not home to supervise.

Soozi likes this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Glad it’s not a serious injury love! Not easy to stop them running around and jumping. But keep her indoors for now.

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am very pleased to hear she is OK and the injury was not anything more serious, as it so easily could have been if she was hit by a vehicle. I am glad she has had some pain relief and has got back her appetite. :)

Sorry to hear you're living near a main road :( Cats and busy/main roads are never a good mix. May be an idea to review whether it's wise for her to still have freedom to roam from now on.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice