Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Hurt new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pabsshan, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Pabsshan

Pabsshan PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I hope you can all help me and please put my mind at ease.

my boyfriend and I just brought home our Cockapoo (on Thursday - almost 9 weeks old) - he’s been fantastic and has been learning so quick and we’re so pleased with him and love him loads.

my boyfriend ran into the kitchen earlier and puppy followed - my partner didn’t realise and accidentally kicked the dog who ran straight back into our living room and began hiding under The sofa and whining. We managed to coax him out and of course did our best to ensure this was an accident - we checked him all over & there’s no damage anywhere.

however, our once fearless Cockapoo is now refusing to walk into the kitchen! What can we do to get him unfearful of the area? I’m hoping that other puppy/dog owners have done something like this too and I’m hoping I’m unnecessarily worrying that a) he hates us now and b) he’s going to be scared of kitchens forever!!

thanks for your help in advance

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

Not a puppy, but in one day I accidentally kicked my chihuahua and caught her in the face with my hand. :oops:. We were on our way out for a walk when the back hander happened. She'd shrugged it off by the time we got to the door. I, on the other hand, was mentally writing a note to the RSPCA on her behalf. :Bag :D

Accidents happen. It might be the first time your partner kicked the dog, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't be the last. The number of times I've nearly fallen over my lurcher, back-kicked her in the jaw climbing the stairs, kicked her in the head because she suddenly decided to investigate something in my path just as I was about to bring my foot forward to take a step, tripped over her, etc, well. . . If she didn't forgive me, we wouldn't be able to share a house.

Your pup doesn't hate you. Dogs just don't think like that. And as soon as pup realises that treats and food come from the kitchen, I'm sure he'll get over his fear of it. Your pup's probably already forgiven you. So forgive yourself.

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome I have accidentally trod on the boxers more times than I care to admit. My sister once dropped a potato on sox. I would just leave some chicken down or anything tasty. He will be ok just check no damage done.

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a dachshund who loves to get under my feet in the kitchen ,he's always getting hs paws trodden on by me and I'm no skinny lightweight !
    The pull of the kitchen and all it represents is too much to deter him though.:rolleyes:
    My female dachshund is much more sensible and watches me from the doorway.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. Pabsshan

Thanks all!

Thankfully we’ve had a roast this evening and with a few coaxes throughout the kitchen with some meat we’ve managed to (I think & hope!) get him slightly back to normality. I’m hopeful he’ll have forgotten by morning!

glad to hear you’ve all had similar experiences - he’s so tiny and that yelp made my heart break!!!

Sarah H, PawsOnMe and LinznMilly like this.
  6. We have little bumps with Nova all the time. She still loves us (I think) :Hilarious I think she equally bumps us accidentally all the time... she flicked
    her head up in my face yesterday and my lip is swollen now :rolleyes:

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We all have kicked, trodden or tripped over our puppies or dogs at sometime, we feel guilty much longer than they hold grudges. Lots of cuddles help both of you.:)

How is he this morning?

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Frequently trodden on my dogs but they do not seem to care. One of mine got trodden on by a pony when she was a few months old. Horrendous screaming and on 3 legs. I put her in the house, saw to the pony who was terrified by the screaming and then went back to the pup who was back on 4 legs and happily came back out with me and hung round the pony again. I think they learn to be more wary of what is going on which is a good thing, but dogs are not stupid and unless you make a big thing about it all is usually fine.

9. Pabsshan

Morning - he’s perfect now, thank you! Strutting through the kitchen like nothing ever happened and adapting to not having my boyfriend at home and me working on my laptop for the first time (we both took time off last week when we got him!).

now to just navigate through the numerous meetings I have today whilst looking after this pup!!

Sarah H and Boxer123 like this.
  10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Good Luck with that.:D

Glad his OK this morning.

Can I ask if we can have some pictures of him and what's name.

11. Pabsshan

His name is Pablo - he’s a Cockapoo and nine weeks old tomorrow!

Attached Files:

12. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Your puppy is adorable! Glad he’s ok. Like everyone else has said, dogs seem to like to put themselves in just the right place to get kicked/ slapped/ stepped on! As the human, you feel awful, but it seems the dog couldn’t care less! My dog likes to sit under my toddler’s highchair at meal times so that she can get first dibs on all the food that gets thrown on the floor. She always positions her head in just the right place to be repeatedly kicked in the face by my toddler swinging his legs. Does she move out of the way? Of course not!

13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Gorgeous he’s lovely. I trod on sox bad foot today honestly he is always under my feet.

14. Kaily

Kaily PetForums VIP

Oh what are you doing to us with those gorgeous puppy pics?

Off to buy a puppy...

I wish :)

#14 Kaily, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

He's gorgeous! Not doing anything for my puppy broodiness though. :Shifty :Woot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice