Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! How to transport two fine gentlecats south?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, May 3, 2014.

1. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

Hello! Now that the time for moving south is nearly here, I'm thinking about how best to transport my lovely chaps on the longest journey of their lives. Their current carrier is just about big enough for them to both lie down or stand up in. Would they be happier in a crate or their carrier? It would have to fit on the back seat of a 4x4 truck. Would it be better to have a covered or open transportation device? We will be on the road for about eight hours and I know they're going to hate every second of it- trying to make it all as easy for them as possible...

2. My5Kitties

My5Kitties PetForums Member

Evening Egyptianreggae,

Hubby & I did a similar trip about 6yrs ago, not something I'd want to repeat in a hurry but we all survived.:rolleyes:

We drove in separate vehicles, Hubby driving the removal van and me our estate car with all our important possessions including 4 cats.

Each cat had it's own carrier and all 4 fitted across the back seat, seat belted in where possible. I didn't cover them, they were front facing so they could see me. Maybe take a sheet with you just in case so you have the option either way. I got some sedative tablets from the vets but in the end they wouldn't take them.

I would suggest that you feed them in enough time before setting off so they can go to the loo hopefully before leaving. Also keep them in a separate room while you load up as all the disruption is going to upset them otherwise.

You could use some calming spray in the carriers as well.

You will find however once you are on the open road they will probably settle and most likely sleep, ours did. They only started up once the vehicle slowed or stopped.

I had the radio on in the car as well but ours were used to the radio being on indoors so I think this helped.

You will need a bathroom break so make sure one of you is with them all the time but whatever you do do NOT let them out.

Ours were fine for the 8-9hrs they were in their carriers. I put food and litter out as soon as we arrived but they weren't interested to start with not surprisingly really but they soon settled.

I hope the move goes ok and everyone takes it in their stride.:)

Rachel.

#2 My5Kitties, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I've liked this post as I'm so excited to get to see you again and meet mr tiny and Simba too!! :thumbsup:

No advice, but all the best! Xx

4. egyptianreggae

This is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing your experience, it's reassuring to know other people have done the same thing! They are going to stay with their auntie Emma next week until it's time to leave, they've been there a lot and it will be less stressful than staying here with all the chaos. Sorry to ask a delicate question but I feel I must- did yours have a wee/poo in the carrier? I'm really hoping they'll be able to hold it in, for obvious reasons! Did you use their normal cat carrier? I'm thinking about using their normal carrier, so they can be together to comfort each other.

5. egyptianreggae

We're very excited to see you, too! I am typing this while simba walks across me, fervently purring his agreement and butting his chin against my iPad!

6. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i wouldnt give them to much food the day before travel , also keep an eye on weather , i cant imagine its gonna get too hot any time soon but you never know , you could take cooling tray things to put in carrier :)

7. My5Kitties

My5Kitties PetForums Member

No problem it's a very sensible question but fortunately none of ours relieved themselves and one was a 3 month old kitten at the time.

Yes we used their normal carriers for a few reasons..

1. A large crate type carrier wouldn't fit in the car with everything else.

2. Although they all got on I didn't know how they were going to cope with the journey so kept them separated so there were no incidents while I was driving.

3. But mainly because heaven forbid had we had an accident I knew they were safely strapped in and the baskets were going no where. If they had been in a crate there would have been a lot more space for them to be flung about possibly causing injury.

Rachel.

8. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I would suggest each has their own carrier - you could put them face to face so they can still see each other

If one becomes stressed, it could upset the other if they're in together

It's quite a long time for them to both be in the one carrier AND if one does have an accident it won't be very nice for them to be in there together

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I'd second this. I never ever transport cats in the same area unless it's my big crate that fills the whole of the back seat. By the sounds of your first post, their own carrier is cramped. You say it's just about big enough for them to lie down or stand up in, so actually, they need a new carrier anyway. A cat should be able to lie down, stand up and turn around easily in a carrier. 8 hours is a long time, so expect that they *might* relieve themselves. Buy a pack of puppy pads or human inco pads and line the bottom of the carrier with a pad. Then if they do have a wee or a poo, it's easy to whip the pad out and then they're on a clean surface again.

Some cats respond better to dark and quiet, while others like to be able to see what's going on. Bring a blanket with you so that you can toss it over the carriers to keep them calm if needed.

Alternatively, if you really really want them to be together, consider buying one of these.

Petego.com - Pet Tube Car Kennel

I've wanted one for a long time as they've had rave reviews. You could then have a small litter tray at one end for them, and they could be together much more happily as they'd have a lot more space to get away from each other if stressed. You could also put a familiar bed or blanket in there with them.

Re food and water, if you plan to give them a tray in the carrier then don't change what you do with feeding. If they won't have a tray, then don't give them breakfast on the morning of the trip.

Because I know the toilet routine of my guys, I never withhold food and water, even when we're travelling sometimes 4-5 hours to a show. When Mr T travelled 13 to Ireland, I set him up in a Sturdi Car-Go for the whole of the trip with a tray which he used a lot.

10. londongal796

londongal796 PetForums Senior

I would definitely suggest putting some cheap blankets/towels down just in case an accident does happen, it is easy to clean up (literally just chuck it if you have the option), and put another one down. I only say this as Dante had an accident on one of his journeys, and clean up took 30seconds really, instead of a lot lot longer if I hadn't put a blanket down.

Hope the journey goes really smoothly and good luck!! So excited for you!!!

11. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

Some excellent advice already from people far more experienced than I, but just to add Misha and I took a trip of about 5 hours one very hot August with no air con in the car. She had a bowl of water and I also took a plant mister which I sprayed over the top of the carrier to help keep it cool, and I put it in the passenger footwell not on the seats as I normally do for short journeys. She was a good traveller anyway, to be fair, but this was an epic journey so I was nervous, but I needn't have been. I also checked her nose and ears regularly but they didn't get dry or hot on the journey and all was well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice