Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! How do you stop a nice bloke from buying yu stuff??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sid&kira, Jun 9, 2010.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I go out about once a week with the guy I dogsat for, as his dog has accepted Kira. We take the dogs for a walk and then go for lunch normally, today he wanted me to show him how to use ebay, so I showed him what to do... then I showed him how you can watch items you want, and he went through my watching thing (4 items on buy it now which I didnt wanna have to search again) and bought it all :scared: it was about £70 worth of stuff....

Then we were talking about bmx racing and I showed him a vid on youtube (im getting back into it along with my lil bro :thumbup:) and he asked if I had a helmet like that (full face) and I said no, they're too expensive, I have a skate style one :eek:

I asked him if we could stop off at halfords on the way home as I wanted to look at their handlebar grips and bmx chains, so we did and he stuck a full face helmet on my head and asked if it was a good fit, I nodded and he walked off to the till, I told him not to get it (it was £60! :eek:) but he wouldnt listen and then took the grips and chain out of my hands and paid for them aswell...

I keep telling him not to but he seems to get a bit offended, and says he can so he wants to... He's a very well off guy... but I just feel a bit akward... :eek:

How do I make it stop?!?!? :lol:

2. borderer

borderer Guest

i think he loves you:thumbup:

3. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

hmmm becareful... if you have an OH they will get jealous and upset about it.

Sometimes they may seem a nice guy but sometimes if they buy u stuff they expect something in return... :rolleyes: just becareful :eek: x

1 person likes this.
  4. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Was what I was thinking too!!!

Have no idea how to get them to stop!! You can only tell him not to, but as he said he can so he will!

5. borderer

borderer Guest

very true rep given:thumbup:

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Could you just be honest and say that you don't want those things?

If you really don't want the things, then if he says that he can buy those because he has the money, just tell him that in that case you will take the things he buys you to a charity shop.

I agree with the posters, what might he want in return?

8. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

9. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

He himself is a very nice genuine bloke.

TBH ricks not bothered, but we think he's trying to buy my company... He lost his wife about 9/10 months ago, very suddenly, and it just seems that he's either trying to thank me or keep me going walking with him

I think im just gunna say that im a bit uncomfortable with him buying my all this stuff

10. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Marry him...gifts will cease almost immediately.:001_cool:

11. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Yeah could tell him that ur OH is not too pleased! Even if he isnt too bothered. Might make him stop!

12. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

So cynical but so true:D

13. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I would stay away from shops/ebay etc when your with him.... And don't mention shopping etc. Don't make an issue out of, like I say just avoid the subject all together.

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I'll try that Idea 1st... I mean he always gets us both lunch while we're out, which Im fine with, its the other stuff...

If he trys to fin a way to spend out on me then i'll try the uncomfortable route :thumbup:

15. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Hope u dont mind me asking... but how old is he? x

16. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

or just explain to him you feel like he's buyin your company and you don't mean any offence but he has no reason to and friends don't have to do that you want his friendship he doesn't need to buy it :) he sounds lovely and a bit lonely bless him

17. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Dr. Pleccy to the rescue!

Refer the man to me, so I may assess his state of mental health... :smilewinkgrin:

Perhaps the man's lonely? :lol:

18. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

late 50's.....

19. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

damn! I was just abotu to pm you my number! :D

In all seriousness, perhaps he is just very very lonely, and it feels good to be buying for someone again.

If it really bothers you that much, then why not suggest to him that althought your very flattered you feel uncomfortable because of the amount in ££'s he's spending. Maybe him cooking you all a nice meal of an evening (you and your oh included) would be better instead (and it would get him the company he craves). A home cooked meal is something you can reciprocate with too.

20. cris_r

cris_r PetForums Junior

I had the same problem with my Mother in Law, if I mentioned that I needed something or went shopping with her she would try and buy it. I soon learned that she felt it gave her the right to manipulate me into doing what she wanted. I could never say no to her. I always felt I owed her.
    So I would say, never in conversation mention anything you want and dont go shopping with this person. As you may feel always indepted. and then it sours the relasionship.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice