Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help . . . how do you get them back inside after a run about??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Jul 14, 2009.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Ok - I am being driven mad (Although that doesn't take much - I am already mad :D ) When I let Pickles outside of her hutch and run for a gallivant around the garden, it must take me at least 20 minutes to get her back into her run. I often have to pull the run out from the hutch and trick her back in. That doesn't work very often as the wee sod runs out the other side. It's getting very frustrating for me. Pickles does not like to be handled and if I do manage to catch her, such a fight to get her back in. It is really getting me frustrated. :crying:

Now Wuzzle is even worse. I can not pick him up. I can catch him very easily as he's not at all nervous and is very comfortable with me going up to him. I don't even try to pick him up now as he fights like billio. Oh my gosh - will scratch me to death to get away. He always gets away. Yet, he's so sweet natured. He detests being held. I am afraid of hurting one of them when they fight when I pick them up.

Does anyone have an easy way - or a good way to get them back into their houses when they are out? Any help at all would be so appreciated!
    Jacqui x x x

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

feed them just before you want them to go back, shake their food box around so they can hear it and after a while they will learn and hop right back. you could also use a clicker or another noise to train them Miffys pretty good with "go home".

Also generally spending time with them, sitting on the floor and waiting for them to come to you then offering a treat and a stroke will teach them your not gonna hurt them

3. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your advice. As far a letting them know I am not going to hurt them - Wuzzel is wonderful. He will let me come right up to him where ever he is. He is very laid back and very relaxed.
    Pickles on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. I have worked so hard with her. She has always been terrified of coming up to me or even me coming upon her. I have tried the sitting in the living room floor and coaxing her over. She is not interested. Not even if I have offered her treats. I have been so patient with her. She is just a very nervous rabbit and she is no more interested in making friends with me than that man on the moon lol. That is where the difficulty is with getting her in her run.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think some rabbits learn this from the people who breed them and just stay nervous keep trying she'll come around eventually :)

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

We taught recall it takes a very long time though. Get him used to a clicker click it and then give him a tasty treat right after. Do this 10 times or so until they associate it with a treat. Whenever the rabbit touches your hand click/reward then build in whatever command you want. It takes a while to get them to come up to you just sit in the middle of the floor ignoring him when he does come give him a tasty treat and they learn its a good thing. Bear in mind though these aren't dogs and theres a good chance they're not going to come everytime. Leo was terrified of us when we first got him and now he's more than happy to climb all over us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice