Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help..he is crying for England!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lilburnthomson, Mar 22, 2008.

1. lilburnthomson

lilburnthomson PetForums Newbie

Hi, Ive had my lovely new pup, Harvey for a week. He is learning fast and a joy but we are having a problem with night time crying. He has a crate in the kitchen, where he takes his 'finds'/toys and eats his meals. He has a radio on, light and ticking clock all of which are meant to help. But, in the last day or two he seems to have 'found his voice' and whenever we leave the room if he is awake, he cries loudly and at night around 3.30am/4.00am he starts really howling and crying. We have been going down but stomp around first outside the door so he stops crying, then go in and dont take any notice of him, make a cup of tea and let him have a wee etc. Then try and keep him calm to go back to sleep. We then sneak back out.
    We have a problem with our neighbours who are very confrontational, cause a lot of noise themselves but who are very quick to complain if we do. I dont want her knocking on my door so were worried about just letting him cry.
    Is this the only way he will learn as Im concerned he is realising if he cries we appear. If so, I will just grit my teeth. I know its only a phase, which cant be said for my neighbours. Any help on how to address this escalating crying problem, would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

ps. I will post some photos of Harvey - he is a sweetheart but we are following all the advice here on the site - thanks to the forum for being there.

2. nici

nici PetForums Senior

it is a difficult one as some will cry, it sounds to me like you are doing a good think some people would disagree and say let them cry but i done the same with one of mine and as time went on the early morning started to get later,it is just a phase and will get better, or you could try useing a crate in your room if you dont mind the dog being in there with you

3. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

HI,Does he sleep alright in the day time in crate.??
    try not to put radio and light on at night.
    Darkness is sleep time,no noise no light.if you have to come down to him dont go in[hard i know]just say no in load voice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice