Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SeaThreePeeO, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Lola is coming up for 5 months old and we were due to book her in for her spay. However the vet wants her to ideally be 2kg in weight as it would be better for her operatively. However he has said if things get desperate they will take her in.

Lola seems to be stuck at 1.5kg. Is there anything I can do to help her put on that extra 0.5kg. Would increasing the number of meals she has a day help?

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

What does she eat just now ? How many meals per day ?

Misty was terribly under-weight it has taken a few months but she is getting there! I feed her 3 pouches of wet food daily, which may be too much but it seems to help her and she has a mix of Royal Canin and Burns dry food, sometimes with Applaws dry food thrown in.

I am assuming she is on kitten food, so how about adding in different treats if her tummy can handle it during the day, scrambled egg with evap milk for brekkie, then normal food, then some chicken, then normal food and some mince and night plus as many biscuits as she can eat.

I know you can also buy Nourishments from PAH.

It's a shame cats don't/cannot eat chocolate, I seemto gain weight very easily eat chocolate. :blushing:

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  3. SeaThreePeeO

LOL yes, it's a shame as that would make things a lot eaiser.

Thanks for the brilliant ideas!

She has 3 meals a day, two wet pouch meals and one dry Royal Canin. She doesn't eat everything and leaves a bit of food at the end, so I know her lack of weight gain isn't because she's not feed enough or due to worms (she's been wormed twice however just in case).

The vet did say that she could be a small skinny cat due to her genetics.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes, Mistys is a skinny wee cat. I was having doubts at her even being a ragdoll as they are supposed to be BIG and she is very little.

#4 Milly22, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  5. SeaThreePeeO

Well, I weoghed her again today and she is 1.7kg so that's a 0.2kg increase. I just wish she would hurry up as I would like the spay and neuter done at the same time.

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh that's promising. I would add some fish too. I forgot about fish yesterday :) Fill that girl right out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice