Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help for second rabbit please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Waterlily, May 22, 2010.

1. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I have just obtained a lil boy about a year and a half old though no one at the house knew for sure :rolleyes:
    He has been living in a pissy guinea pig house the entire time and I finally convinced her that winnie needs a friend and I can "help" her with her bunny epidemic (yep she used him to make cute bubbys for the kiddies :mad: ) and he was her only male so hopefully she stops breeding.

Anyway I have him outside separated from winnie who is indoors until he is vet checked and neutered etc even though she is spayed I thought it would be better to wait :confused1:
    How the eff do I bond them ? she is territorial and is loving the solo pampering :eek: Should I introduce them in his patio area or her area or the lounge :confused1: And what happens if they badly attack each other how do I stop it. I really never wanted another bunny but this boy has been on my mind for the entire time she has had him and couldnt leave him in the rain and sun (no shelter :mad: ) I even had to feed her bunnys yesterday cos she apparently only does it when she cleans em out :mad: :mad: They were so hungry it broke my heart :( :(
    So after all this babble can someone advise me please :)

This is Bugsy feeling a soft blankie for the first time in his life xx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ouisie

ouisie PetForums Member

No advice on the bonding I'm afraid, but there are plenty of lovely people on here that will advise you. I just wanted to say well done for rescuing him, he's a lucky bun to have had you looking out for him. He looks like he's enjoying the blanket too :)

3. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I can'[t advise you - but you'll get lots of advice from others here. I just wanted to say that I am so glad that you took on this little guy. He'll have such a better life now. I hope the bonding process goes ok and that you bunnies can live together. x

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

awwwwww hes gorgeous!!! Hope Winnie likes him :D

5. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Bonding actually isnt all that bad, 2 certinally isnt :p
    You need a neutral space, where neither have been, but it cant be too big, only up to 4ft square really! A dog crate is ideal if you can borrow one :p
    It will be better if he is neutered and left to settle for a couple of weeks before trying to bond them.
    Can you drive? If so this is by far the best way to bond rabbits! Put them both into a cat carrier(neutral if possible -vinegar a used one :p) and take them for a drive, you will need a water pistol or spray bottle and another person really to either drive or spray if they get stroppy! (if you cant drive put the cage on top of a washing machine on spin cycle)
    When you get them back, they should be fairly settled, just pop them into the neutral space and watch them. A small ammount of humping and fur pulling is acceptable but if they get too much, spray them with water!

A bath together will also help, it gets rid of their smells and encourages them to groom :)

If you have any questions or need some help, you can PM me, I'm on here most days :)

Dont worry, you'll be fine, I've just bonded 6 lol

*Heidi*

6. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

Bugsy looks adorable. I just wonder about the other poor buns if they are only fed when they are cleaned out - unless she cleans them out daily, which I somehow doubt from the way you are describing her. Maybe they have loads of hay to munch on all the time? If not, wouldn't they be really ill going for long periods without anything to eat?

So glad you have given Bugsy a wonderful home. He certainly looks like he appreciates it:)

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I think the kid she is nine hoses them out and they get fed by her scattering the pellet mix onto the dirt, deffo not enough for two bunnys let alone a few. The hay that I was "caught" feeding them all was so dry and brown it was like twigs. Plus when Bugsy came here I felt him and his butt bones (lowerback) were both jutting out and when he stretched his legs they were tiny :( They are surviving on the bare minimum tbh I dont know how but they are. :mad: I have emailed my rabbit vet for a teeth check and neuter quote so hopefully he will be done next saturday. His fur seems ok but have put advantage on him incase he has fleas.

8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Thankyou I will :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice