Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help for poorly kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by donna81, Jul 20, 2009.

1. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

got home today and was checking all the babies, and we noticed that one of mo's babies mouth was stuck shut, looks like it was stuck with kind of sticky spit. he was really weak and when i pinched the scruff of his neck it took a while to go back down which i think means he is dehydrated? we tried to get him to suckle form his mum but i guess he was just too weak.so we went and got some lactol and a feeding syringe, we are trying to feed him a little bit every few minutes and we are keeing him nice and warm. are we doing the right thing???

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I'd ring the vet for advice as well - no idea about the stuck together thing. Have all their palettes been checked?

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I have to say it doesn't sound good, but you are doing the right thing. Be careful when you feed him though, just put a drop in his mouth at a time and make sure he swallows it. He does sound dehydrated. I would ring the vets for advice, but they are not that great with tiny kittens. They maybe able to give him some fluids under the skin to help with the dehrydration, or if they think there's a chance for him, try a tube feed, just to see if it perks him up.
    Good luck.

4. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

we rang the vets earlier for advice and they said that we are doing the right thing and to try to keep him in with mum as much as possible, he is the smallest of the litter so they said that could be why he is being pushed out buy the other kittens. to be honest they didnt seem all that interested and i was kinda left wondering why i bothered ringing them. thats why i thought i would post the question on here in case anyone had been through anything similar.
    the vet said his mouth could of been stuck shut just coz his mouth was so dry. after he has been having a few drops of milk his mouth seems sticky again, kind of like when we are thirsty so i have been dipping a cotton bud in some cool water and just rubbing his lips with it, i dont know if it will help but i cant see it being harmfull.
    any advice anyone has will be greatfully recieved xx

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Is he actually swallowing the milk you give him ? Sometimes when they are really low, they can't tolerate the milk, so I would either water it down a bit more, or try alternate drips with cooled boiled water with a bit of glucose in. Sometimes they take that better than the milk and it gets fluids into them. Its heart breaking, and you feel so helpless, but you are doing everything you can for him. At the very least you are making him feel more comfortable, but you are also giving him every chance possible. They go down hill so quickly, but they can also go the other way just as quickly.

Vets are next to useless with any kind of tiny kittens, I am sorry he was so dismissive.

6. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Sticky gums is one of the symptoms of dehydration.

All you can do is to carry on with what you are doing and hope for the best. Vets usually are reluctant to treat very young kittens - at best they could have given the kitten a shot of saline which would have rehydrated a lot quicker.

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

oh dear hun...I took in a mum and her kittens...she sadly died and i had to hand feed them...and 1 by 1 they sadly died due to dehydration...mouths open and very week...so good luck hun...you are doing a great job...xxx

8. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

dont forget to rub his bottom with a warm piece of cotton wool after feeds to stimulate going to the loo:)

9. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

All above is sound advice but you could perhaps try a little tiny drop of Nutridrops on his lips/tongue to see if this would give him a little energy.

10. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

hi, little chap seems to have perked up a bit, mo(his mum) however has turned her back on him, we were trying to put him with her like the vet said to and twice she attacked him :(. luckily though, eeny one of our other cats had her kittens last wednesday and she is the most amazing mum, and she has accepted him sleeping with her for warmth and she cleans him so he can wee and pooh. he baby shows interest in suckling from eeny but i think he is bit weak at the mo, im going to carry on with the syringe feeding but keep trying him with eeny, hopefully when he is stronger she will take him on and be a fab foster mummy :D

11. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

here are a few pics of our poorly chap

Photo0813.jpg

Photo0816.jpg

Photo0818.jpg

12. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Aww bless him..yeh thought the mum will go off him..some do that...i use the tiny bottles for hand feeding tend to be easier for me...least hes having abit tho...:smilewinkgrin:

13. Ooh Good luck with him! Your doing the right thing, and its great to know he's coming on.

Best wishes for all your cats x

14. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

we bought syringes and bottles, didnt know what would be best, we have tried both but he didnt show any interest in the bottle, i think it was coz he was a bit too weak to be bothered. im planning on putting him with eeny as much as possible(while we are supervising) in the hope that she will take him on fully when he is feeling better, is that the right thing to do? im not too keen on the idea of putting him with his own mum seeing as she has attacked him twice

15. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I don't have an experience of this I just wanted to send loads of positie and healing vibes your way xxx

16. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I always cut the top of the teat a little, so they dont have to suck hard....if you are unhappy with the way mum is treating him then keep doing what you are doing hun...

purrlover likes this.
  17. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

we have given up on the syringe, it was a nightmare, one min it was mega hard to push then it would go in really fast and milk would go everywhere :cursing:
    we decided to snip a tiny bit off the top of the teat on the bottle, little chap is still not sucking but ive just been squeezing the bottle slightly so he gets a drop at a time. hes taking the milk really well and when hes not being fed he is in eeny's box with her and her babies. she gave him a really good wash earlier and has no problems with him being there so hopefully he will settle in as part of her litter :D........fingers crossed. will update in the morning :D

18. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

yeh i cant use the syringes, they are crap...bottles best...yeh just gently squeeze it, hopefully he will build his strength up...all you can do is hope and pray hel get better...

19. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

had a restless night last night, up every hour to try to get little chap to have a few drops of milk. he started to pick up a bit but seems to have gone back down hill again now. he is hardly moving and has got no energy at all. he is laid on the hot water bottle at the min and is wrapped up to keep him warm coz he gets very cold very quickly which im guessing is a bad sign :(
    he seems to be breathing ok which is good and occasionally he has a little cry, i just hope he pulls through, its heartbreaking to see him like this :(

20. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

oh dear, that little cry is his body giving up...its just letting you know hun...i had that with all of the ones i lost...mine towards the end had the milk coming out of their nose...so watch out for that...vet said the milk wasnt going down into their tummys...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice