Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help for mum dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Daisy8, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Daisy8

Daisy8 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My Dog's puppies are 5 weeks old and they have bitten her whilst feeding and have caused bleeding teats, I have been advised by the vet to keep her away until her milk dries up, the puppies are crying for mum and she is crying to be with them, has anyone got any advise on whether I can buy anything to stop them from biting her teats?, it's so sad they are being kept apart as I feel they still need their fun time together.:(

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

just let her see them for short times during the day give her time for her teats to heal,
    feed them more food so will not try to feed off her so much.

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

are you sure they are biting her,, maybe there nails are long and abit sharp,,, sometimes they claw mum while feeding ,so its best to keep them trimmed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:):)

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I thought the same as collie, ive seen bitches shredded by puppy claws that havent been clipped. Its worth checking.
    If you have to keep her away then I suggest a milk substitute for them so they still get what they need.
    Good luck.

5. Daisy8

Daisy8 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for replying, I have been cutting their nails regularly, so know that it is their teeth that are doing it, they are like needles, the vet said to keep the puppies off milk and leave the food down all day and night, which I did until yesterday, as they were eating so much I think this caused them runny bums, so am now only putting it down 5 times a day. I have tried putting Mum in a couple of tee shirts which worked today for awhile although she did look a bit strange running around the garden! Thanks guys.:)

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Ive never heard of a vet advising that before but then most of them have never bred a litter in their life! I say let the vets treat sick animals and the breeders rear puppies.
    What you are doing is right although I personally would still give a milk substitute till they go to their new homes if the arent getting anything from mum.

Wouldnt it be great if someone invented a suit for this reason. It could have little teat holes for them to dangle through :D
    Perhaps you should look into this, you could earn a fortune! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice