Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help for depressed, grieving kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by weebeasties, Jun 29, 2019.

1. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

One of our cats recently passed away. It was very sudden and unexpected. One of our other cats, Keith, took the death very hard. He was depressed and grieving for several weeks, but slowly came back to himself.
    Now, one of our other cats has been diagnosed with a serious heart condition - DCM - and the prognosis is not good. She has been very unwell for the past few days.
    Keith is acting very depressed again. He doesn't want to leave our sick kitty's side. I am keeping our sick girl isolated in our bedroom today just so I can monitor her litterbox use to make sure her heart meds aren't affecting her kidneys. It's only been a couple of hours and Keith is inconsolable. He lays at the door to the bedroom and meows and scratches to be let in. I did let him in for a few minutes so he could see her, but he is just miserable.
    He has been so depressed this past week. His eating is fine, but no playing. All he wants to do is lay close to our sick girl.
    Is there anything I can do to help him? I have been trying to give him extra attention, but he seems to be grieving for her even though she is still with us.
    I myself am heartbroken with the situation, but seeing Keith like this is making it worse. He's normally such an active, silly boy.

white_shadow likes this.
  2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh this is so very sad for you all. I’m so sorry. I would let Keith in to be with her if she’s ok with it. Just keep a close eye on things. Cats do take a few weeks to get over grieving but they are much better at it than we are. Emotionally they aren’t the same as humans. Sending hugs. xxx

Calvine, chillminx and weebeasties like this.
  3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I‘m so very sorry for your and Keith‘ loss and for your ill girl. :(

I guess it’s kindest to let Keith stay with her or does that upset him more than having to stay outside?
    Maybe Zylkene or a calming diffuser might help?

chillminx, weebeasties and Soozi like this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to read this. I don't know what to suggest apart from letting Keith be with your poorly girl as much as possible, and once she passes to let him be with her body so that he knows her spirit has left.

Ps. You could start giving him homeopathic remedies?

Calvine, weebeasties and Soozi like this.
  5. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

Thanks everyone. I didn't even think of calming diffusers. I should have-my mind has been all over the place this past week. Hopefully I will only have to keep them separated for the day. Just long enough to measure pee output. I did purchase some calming treats, but Keith won't eat them. I am going to try crumbling them up and mixing it in his food.
    Our sick girl, Spike, is laying in her kitty cave and when I let Keith in to visit, he just ran in and layed at the entrance with his head resting on her paw. Made me want to cry.

white_shadow and chillminx like this.
  6. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

So sorry for your loss and poor Keith.

Hugs to you all.

Soozi and weebeasties like this.
  7. Trixie1

Trixie1 PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry to read this sad news:( I like others would suggest that after today you let Keith stay with Spike. It may help to keep him calm and perk him up too. Spike may also feel comforted with him there. I don’t know much about calming diffusers but hoping that somebody will be along soon to suggest a few more other calming methods/options for Keith. Sending lot’s of love, hugs and strength at this very difficult time Xx

Soozi and weebeasties like this.
  8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

That’s so sad I so sorry. X

When I lost my older girl, my middle cat was grieving, so I gave her rescue remedy ( Bach flower ) it has a combination of the range including holly for sudden grief. It did help.
    Perfectly safe for cats in water.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh I'm so sorry! My sweet red boy was like that, he took losses so hard, and clung to the ill ones. I'm glad once you get her pee, he can be with her.

I would suggest you give him some Rescue Remedy to help him cope.

weebeasties likes this.
  10. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Oh poor Keith, that is so sad.

I agree I would let him spend time with her today, even if it means you sitting in there with them (then you can monitor the wee!) Being together will comfort both of them.

It's so lovely when our cats are great friends but so heartbreaking when that bond breaks. A few years ago our girl lost her 'mum and dad' - our two older cats - within six months and I have never seen a cat so grief stricken. We got her another female companion which helped her.

weebeasties likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice