Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help for a wounded newbie :/

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Nathan9505, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Nathan9505

Nathan9505 PetForums Newbie

Okay so my partner used to have ferrets with her ex and knows a lot but he primarily cared for them. A month back we decided to get a ferret and I picked her up. All the way home she Slept on my lap. She’s grown into such a lovely little fluff, she’s overly playful n very gently nips so 0 cuddles it’ calways playtime but she’s gentle and careful. I got my confidence up with her and wanted to get myself one, I’ve gone to pick her up 9 weeks old, and she let me pick her up, went playful seemed fine then all of a sudden latched onto my hand and ripped shreds out of me n my friend had to pull over n help me un latch her jaw, I wasn’t mithering her or trapping her there seemed to be no sign, I took her back n the guy apologised and said she’s never done it before n he picked her up n she was absolutely fine again. I’ve swapped for a different one n she’s in the carrier crate but it’s really knocked me it hurt like crazy n I’ve been bit by large dogs that hurt less :/ Any advice on how to avoid and train them out of this and should I be wary of the new one, or should I chalk it down to a stressy ferret? The guy said although they have been handled they haven’t been handled quite as much as he’d of liked, they’re 9 weeks, it’s not too late to get them used to it is it? And how do I go about it? Any advice would be brilliant as my partner isn’t always on hand due to work and I don’t wanna end up neglecting her out of fear, if it was a nip it wouldn’t be so bad but she REALLY latched on to me...

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

When ferrets are stressed and nervous - they can latch on and bite. It hurts. Normally if you put them down on the floor - once they stop feeling threatened they do let go. I get that's hard when it hurts.

Kits do nip - they explore the world with their mouths and they are curious. You gotta train them human skin is delicate and we can't rough house like they can with siblings - kits normally instigate play with other kits by nipping them.

Nip training is something you must be consistent with - playtime stops when kits nip too hard until they calm down, then playtime resumes. They soon learn the fun stops if they nip.

If it's nipping/biting out of fear - then you have to take a step back, give them time to settle and get used to things are their pace. Show them we aren't scary or a threat.

Ferrets need same age company - they are sociable, they can also rough house with them which is something we can never do. Also make sure they're well fed - as I'm sure you know, ferrets need to eat often as they have fast metabolisms and they're less likely to nip once they have a full tum. I'd always recommend complete raw feeding for ferrets - best diet for them as they're obligate carnivores.

Patchwork Petcare likes this.
  3. Nathan9505

hey thanks so much for your reply. Do you have any tips for getting her used to being handled and should I do as I did with my rabbits (I no longer own any them don’t panic ) and give her a couple
    Of days to settle into her new home? We will be slowly introducing her to the ferret we already have (both female). Also do you think with her not being handled tons at 9 weeks she’ll still be able to be nip trained etc?

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Yes, give her a couple of days to settle and get adjusted to her new home. Everything has changed for her - it can be very stressful but still spend time with her.

If they are both kits - they don't need a slow introduction. Kits normally get on fine with each other straight away - they may drag each other around a bit but it's normal.

Yes she'll still be able to be trained - consistency is key :)

Hopefully you're already aware but your girls will need to either be spayed, have the jill jab or a hormone implant which lasts around 18 months, when they come into season - typically any time between March and September. If female ferrets are left in season they can die.

5. Nathan9505

the one we have is about 2 months old, is she still going enough to introduce? And yeah I’ve been made aware of them getting stuck in season etc

6. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

As long as they are both under 12-14 weeks - kit introductions are relatively easy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice