Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Fleas!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shanejd, May 10, 2021.

1. shanejd

shanejd PetForums Newbie

My Pomeranian died a couple of weeks ago due to old age(12yrs old). Leading up to it he was treated for fleas, and the last few I saw in his fur were already dead. Until tonight I hadn’t seen or felt any! As someone who has an irrational fear of fleas, ticks, flies etc if I ever feel anything on me I immediately panic and inspect the whole area around me (bedding, sofa, the clothes I’m wearing, my skin etc) to find out what I felt in me. 9 times out of ten I’m imagining it! Brain is constantly on overtime! Until tonight, I felt a DEFINITE bug on me when laying on my bed and when I looked, it’s a flea waddling through my leg hairs!

I didn’t inspect the thing, I brushed it off and jumped up - but I could tell by the way it moved it was a flea.

I know that fleas CAN live on humans but how likely is that? Are they gonna die soon without a host? I’ve read online that if you see a flea that isn’t on your pet it’s an infestation is that true? I could do with some reassurance here to be honest!

there’s not a lot I can do right now at 23:20 when all the shops are shut but I’ve taken my bedding off to be washed but I’m not gonna be getting sleep tonight. is there a product anyone can recommend? I don’t have a dog now so it doesn’t matter if it’s pet safe or not! I want the bliters gone fast!

I have gone over my sheets, flooring, curtains etc with my phone flashlight to see if I can see movement - but can’t see anything! I have a bowl of soapy water on the floor but my bedroom is pretty big so not sure if that’ll actually catch something!

advice, reassurance, tips and “need to buy” product suggestions would be MASSIVELY appreciated! TIA

2. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Get some Indorex (or other veterinary grade household flea treatment), you can buy it online for about £10. Don’t waste your money on supermarket stuff, it won’t work.
    Use it in every room as instructed after thoroughly vacuuming and washing any bedding etc and you shouldn’t have further problems. I wouldn’t panic about it but dealing with it properly now will stop it from escalating (probably won’t anyway but having dealt with flea problems in the past - mainly growing up when my mother had too many cats - it’s not something I take chances with)

shanejd likes this.
  3. shanejd

shanejd PetForums Newbie

Thank you! Just ordered it from Pet Drugs Online - over 200+ reviews and 5 stars so that looks promising.

trying not to panic but the thought of something sucking my blood or jumping on me while I’m sleeping makes me feel sick!

thanks again!

picaresque likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Actually fleas don't live on humans or pets. They jump on the pets to feed and lay eggs. They jump on humans to feed.

Likely this flea was an egg lying some where in your house and has hatched. The eggs can go unhatched a very long time. They might die off eventually but I agree with the others who recommend an aggressive treatment of your home. That should do it.

I'm sorry for your loss of your precious boy.

5. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

The eggs, larvae and pupae can live in you carpet, flooring, sofa, etc. So you need to make sure you hoover thoroughly and wash all bedding, sofa cushions, etc. Then treat the house with a good flea spray or fogger. You'll probably need to do this again in a few weeks time as I believe the pupae are protected and will need treating once they leave the cocoon.

Weve had fleas from our cat before and had to treat the house at least three times before they all went. Stripping the sofa is not fun!

shanejd, Lurcherlad and niamh123 like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Vacuum several times a day for at least 3 weeks too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice